HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled

Notices

HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled

Old 04-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I took the new pump apart and I found out Ihad the valve backwards .Its still NOT mythe problem though. It is building presure . I stoped at 300psi because of the Blue hose .I will test it again and see how high it will go. I figure it will blow the hose off. I ll just wear some old cloths and goggles ..If it builds up enough pres its not the pump then . I am now leaning toward the helm now . Alteast I will learn all about these pumps and sterring system and I will beable to help someone else .
Strip, you're a nut. I kinda like it, tho.

Linnie hows the boat doing now ?did ya get it reprogramed again.
I ran my Hustler the other night with no steering it wasnt pretty at 95,the funny thing is My buddy T that is helping me want ride at night anymore with no steering they said they could hear the blower from the bank when I was headed toward them, the cops showed up also. it was 10.30 at night though
Ok, this confirms it.

Sounds like you're on track. Let us know how it goes back together.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 04-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by p4-33
That's not right. I keep thinking about what you said about having your ram lines apart. This will put a LOT of air in the system, and it needs to be bled out. Some will bleed by cranking the wheel around, but your supply lines are shorter than the ram lines, so there's only as much fluid as in the supply circuit that can cycle back and forth by turning the wheel. Again, the rams are dead-end, so nothing cycles thru, just back and forth.

How big is your reservoir bottle? On a 38' boat, there has to be a couple of gallons of fluid total in the system - pump, lines, helm, bottle. When you bled it initially this year, how much fluid did you have to add before the reservoir bottle held it's level?

Are we having fun yet?

Brian
Brian it took about 1 qt on the start up when the pump was dry.then I started bleeding it . The ram on the out side fitting was leaking so we resealed it ,The reason I took it off out side.

I am pretty sure I bleed all the air out the second day.

I am fixing to test how high the pressure will go then put the pump back on the boat and test it like Falcon said with the jumper hose . I guess this will tell me if its the Charlene valve or a restriction.

Does anybody know what GM pump this is ,the application ?

Thanks again for yawl's help.

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:53 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rob, when I put Marine Machine steering on my ex-son in laws Sonic we had a bad high PSI filter. It would not pass any flow. They had a run of some bad filter elements or bad machining. They replaced the filter assy and it worked fine. I have installed MM systems on three boats and never had to crack a fitting to bleed the system. The Eaton Charlynn helm is NOT field repairable per Eaton. Buy a new one. Call MM to make sure you have a large enough steering motor. Try bypassing the high PSI filter. I have had reusable hose ends cut the inside of the hose and the flap acts like a check valve. I have also had check valve and relief valves come apart and the internal parts lodge @ hose ends and act like a check valve. Also make sure the pressure line is connected to the pressure port of the Charlynn. Joe Murray
Old 04-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by f311fr1
Rob, when I put Marine Machine steering on my ex-son in laws Sonic we had a bad high PSI filter. It would not pass any flow. They had a run of some bad filter elements or bad machining. They replaced the filter assy and it worked fine. I have installed MM systems on three boats and never had to crack a fitting to bleed the system. The Eaton Charlynn helm is NOT field repairable per Eaton. Buy a new one. Call MM to make sure you have a large enough steering motor. Try bypassing the high PSI filter. I have had reusable hose ends cut the inside of the hose and the flap acts like a check valve. I have also had check valve and relief valves come apart and the internal parts lodge @ hose ends and act like a check valve. Also make sure the pressure line is connected to the pressure port of the Charlynn. Joe Murray
Joe I figure if I can blow thru the filter with my mouth it I would be ok ??I prob should replace anyway. Again the system was working before the motor rebuild ,But it always has been stiff . Now theres no assist at all.

See next post on flow testing the system .

Thanks again

Rob

Old 04-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Test 1 Still bench testing it. I put the higher pressure hose and a clamp on the push lock fitting . Pinching the hose trying to dead head it with the electric drill 600rpm. it was chocking the drill down real hard !! The drill only could get it up to 750 psi. I think there was some still going thru the hose .So it wasn't a total dead head test.

So its looking like the pump is OK

Test 2... I put the pump back on the boat and I put the NOS gage between the pump and filter.pressure side . The hose coming out of the cooler I ran back to the tank .It was chocking down the drill some and was reading 200psi on the gage free flowing . I would think This would be some restriction. Is it to much???

I think we are getting close

Thanks

Rob
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=pump-011

Old 04-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just responded to Rob about the pressure reading, if it's close to 200psi, it's too high. Looks like he does have a restriction somewhere. I mentioned bypassing the cooler to rule that out, checking hoses, forgot to mention the filter again, and that he still can't rule out the helm although less likely. It sounds like he is close to finding the root cause of his stiff steering in the past.

Falcon
Old 04-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Falcon
I just responded to Rob about the pressure reading, if it's close to 200psi, it's too high. Looks like he does have a restriction somewhere. I mentioned bypassing the cooler to rule that out, checking hoses, forgot to mention the filter again, and that he still can't rule out the helm although less likely. It sounds like he is close to finding the root cause of his stiff steering in the past.

Falcon
Thanks Falcon , its back to flow testing.

Rob

Old 04-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rob, did your parts show up ok this morn?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:05 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Big_D
Hey Rob, did your parts show up ok this morn?
Pedro I got it this morning and put it together tonight.Thanks for your help and the parts .All is good now

I flow tested the pump again without the filter and cooler . They where not causing any restriction. . I replace the helm parts and a hose, disconnected the rams from the drives so I could fully extend and retract them for bleeding . The B-Max drives mount up different and you want have your full Turing radius because the rams are too short.The BMax drives steering pivot point if father back from the transom. I guess thats why it want turn sharp I got all the air out of the rams then bled the helm with the drill also. it works alot better using the drill. I dead headed the pump with the steering wheel full lock and it went up to 1500psi on the gage . so I think the pump is good. I put everything back together and started the motor and the gage was reading 175-200 still .But the steering is easy now It actually is better than it has ever been since I bought the boat!!

I could not of fixed it with out yawls help. Falcon and p4-33 thank you very much for your help.

Its time to hit the lake and try it out. Falcon I should be haven fun tomorrow

Thanks again
Rob
Attached Thumbnails HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled-pully-004.jpg  

Old 04-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pedro I got it this morning and put it together tonight.Thanks for your help and the parts .All is good now

I flow tested the pump again without the filter and cooler . They where not causing any restriction. . I replace the helm parts and a hose, disconnected the rams from the drives so I could fully extend and retract them for bleeding . The B-Max drives mount up different and you want have your full Turing radius because the rams are too short.The BMax drives steering pivot point if father back from the transom. I guess thats why it want turn sharp I got all the air out of the rams then bled the helm with the drill also. it works alot better using the drill. I dead headed the pump with the steering wheel full lock and it went up to 1500psi on the gage . so I think the pump is good. I put everything back together and started the motor and the gage was reading 175-200 still .But the steering is easy now It actually is better than it has ever been since I bought the boat!!

I could not of fixed it with out yawls help. Falcon and p4-33 thank you very much for your help.

Its time to hit the lake and try it out. Falcon I should be haven fun tomorrow

Thanks again
Rob
Good deal....! Now when your done boating for the season, we'll tackle the rams and get them set up properly on the transom. Then you'll have more steering at idle speeds around the docks. Call me tomm. and let me know how the test run went. Did you change the bearing and the cap on the column?

later....

Quick Reply: HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.