What is "X" Dimension?

Notices

What is "X" Dimension?

Old 06-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What is "X" Dimension?

Originally Posted by Pismo10
The distance from the crank center to the prop shaft center will always be the same of course unless you start altering the drive itself (like installing an Alpha SS or an Imco shorite or spacers). The X-dim measurement is used when installing the engine/transom assembly and it is the distance from the bottom of the boat up to the crank centerline. The bigger the # the higher your drive will be.
I think the drives I got have gotten one of those extensions I keep getting emails about--On my SR357--distance from CL of crakshaft to CL of propshaft is 26"--is this a typical 87 TRS dimension?

The distnce between bottom edge of V in front of drive(s) to CL of prop shaft is 9"--is that a deep prop on a 87 SR257?

Damn this shouldn't be so technical--it's just a boat--I'm gonna get anther bottle of rum.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: What is "X" Dimension?

Technically speaking, the "X" dimension is the distance "on" the transom from the intersect of the boat bottom and transom (at drive location) to crank center to place the prop shaft at the desired height. It gets the X label from the math; trig function to find the hypotenuse on a right triangle, where x is the hypotenuse. The X varies with transom angle, drive type and stand off (unless the transom angle is exactly 13 degrees). Some times we discuss X dimension as the actual propshaft height, it's not. It's how we get there. Is this technical enough
Old 06-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: What is "X" Dimension?

X-spot came from a run Reggie did a while ago and he has the drawers to prove it hanging in his locker-room.