transom thickness >

transom thickness

Notices

transom thickness

Old 05-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: transom thickness

1-7/8 is too thin and the parellel part is important. I fit not straight it can crack the inner transom plate when you torque it. I've done it and it's no good.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
1-7/8 is too thin and the parellel part is important. I fit not straight it can crack the inner transom plate when you torque it. I've done it and it's no good.
That is what happened to mine. HTM used a stack of washers to make up the difference and the bottom of the inner transom cracked. Looks like I will be busy after work for sometime.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Registered

I wen through the same deal with a boat builder whos name I won't mention but in the end they payed all costs realted to fixing it. I would get on the phone with HTM and see what they will do. This is not a warranty issue, this is just plain poor manufacturing and they should step up to the pump and deal with it. If they are unwilling I would raise hell about it. Fortunetly the builder I dealt with fixed it with no argueing and reimburst the cost for all the teardown and reassembly required. Most builders don't run repair facilitys and you will be best tearing it down yourself and taking it to a glass shop or finding a local shop to do the teardown and then sub out the glass work. I did this job on behalf of a customer when I worked at a shop in California and it never cost him a penny out of pocket. If you find a good shop they will go to bat for you and will recieve approval from HTM before starting the job and you will never have to spend any cash out of pocket. Once again this is not a warranty issue this is a defect that has been there since the boat was new and HTM should take care of it regardless of the age of the boat.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Thanks hillbilly. I sent the an email. In the past they where of no help. I had to replace the floor last year because the boat did not drain water and rotted out the floor.
Since the transom is fine otherwise I was hoping I could epoxy some more wood and glass over to get to the correct flat thickness.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Thanks for all the info guys here is the reponse I got form HTM
Sent: Thu 5/19/2005 4:35 PM
To: Richard Fisher
Subject:

Hello Richard,
I would not have a copy of the contract from you to Off Shore. I need to make sure that you were the 1st owner and what the boat came out fitted with from Off Shore, I can not do this with out the original contract. I do have records but they show that HTM did not install the motor package and a pro charger in the box was sent up with it. I wanted to see if there was any notes on your contract. I have measured several of the boats here (new and old) and I have documented them and they are all shy of 2" this is not a defect
Old 05-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Registered

who ever sent that email is just plain wrong. If they bothered to look in the Merc angine istall manual (diffrent then the service manual) they would see that merc does spec a minimum of 2" and states that the surface must be dead flat. I also don't think it matters who installed the engine package or the procharger, or if you are the original owner. The transom was layed up wrong and that has nothing to do with the engine, procharger or current owner. Although the original engine installer should have sadi something about the transom issue, it's not something you would think to check on a production hull that came straight from the factory. Just cuase the ones on thier floor right now are thinner then 2 " does not make it right.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Registered

is that email from the old owners widow ?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

is that email from the old owners widow ?
Yes she now runs the company and she insists she called merc and they told her that was not the problem.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

who ever sent that email is just plain wrong. If they bothered to look in the Merc angine istall manual (diffrent then the service manual) they would see that merc does spec a minimum of 2" and states that the surface must be dead flat. I also don't think it matters who installed the engine package or the procharger, or if you are the original owner. The transom was layed up wrong and that has nothing to do with the engine, procharger or current owner. Although the original engine installer should have sadi something about the transom issue, it's not something you would think to check on a production hull that came straight from the factory. Just cuase the ones on thier floor right now are thinner then 2 " does not make it right.
I told her the same thing and the best part is they did install the package with the ProCharger since the also used in it Hot Boat 2/98 with the power. ProCharger even took the boat to their shop after I was the owner since they wanted to as they put it detune it.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats not right, they should fix this problem no questions asked. Theres plenty of info out there stating how thick the transom needs to be and even there new models don't meet the specs!!! How many other boats are out there with the same issues. I'd raise one hell of a stink PERIOD!!!!

Quick Reply: transom thickness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.