Notices

Dr. Kobrin..... The birth of Mobil-1

Old 05-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dr. Kobrin..... The birth of Mobil-1

Originally Posted by FlyFast
From bob's website the mobile 1 flows 8.1 at 10 psi. The K&N flows 14.7 at 10 psi. This is about 80% more flow. This is a big number. Of course you will only notice the difference on the guage at a low idle speed. If your filter goes into bypass 80% latter or 3000 rpm vs 5400 rpm this is huge.

Something that I don't understand is why a synthetic oil will flow better at temperature. I don't doubt that a dino 30 wt at temp will flow like a 10 wt oil. If a synthetic will flow better through a fine filter then it will also flow faster from the bearing surfaces in your motor. I want a oil that will maintain the 30 wt film on the bearings at temp and speed.

You know the engineers at merc are pretty lazy. Alot of things are done for cost rather than to make a better product. If there was no need for a high flow filter merc would have just had car filters repainted black. Why did merc spend the time and money to come up with a unique filter?

I know most people think the K&N is made by champion. I use the champion aircraft filters that have the champion name on them. The K&N has a different 1" nut attached to the bottom from the aircraft filter. They may be made both made from champion but they have a different housing.

What flow does the sae test on the mobile 1 filter show it to be by passing?
I only use the tall filters. I have no info on the short ones.
Maybe the K&N shows more flow due to being in a bypass mode in this test? Nothing that traps to that level can flow that much I am told.

Want more flow and filtration? You need a dual stage filter set-up.