Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water in oil... Again and again and again and again.... >

Water in oil... Again and again and again and again....

Notices

Water in oil... Again and again and again and again....

Old 06-09-2005, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Water in oil... Again and again and again and again....

I am so dejected. I had the cam degreed and found that it was 3 deg retarded an it was to be set at 4 deg advanced. Well I assumed that this would be the problem and was elated to have found it. I went ahead and replaced the intake gasket ( the one that came off looked fine) and replaced the head gaskets with a different brand (Fel Pro this time) just to eliminate those two possibilities. The head gaskets were sealed all around, but when they were taken off, it looked like there was moisture on each side of the gasket. However the seals to the cylinders were good and I have never noticed water coming out of the joint between the heads and the block. Maybe the moisture was just humidity. Anyway they were replaced and I was confident that the problem of having water in my oil was fixed. I ran the boat for 20 minutes with the exhaust going through the silent choice on the Lighting exhaust and the oil looked good. Then I ran it for 20 min with the exhaust going through the transom and the oil looked good. I wa elated and though that my problems were fixed. I went ahead an ran it for another 30 min with the exhaust going out the transom just to be safe and checked my oil. Guess what I HAVE WATER IN THE OIL AGAIN!!!!! I was/ am so depressed. I have spent over 200 hours this spring on this problem. This morning I am going to run it for 60 min with the exhaust going through the prop again to see if it water gets in the oil. If it does,then I am wondering if I could have a cracked block. Any ideas????? I am so depressed. This sucks. I may buy a new engine if I can get it here and installed by Tuesday, June 14th. We are to leave for our vacation with the boat then.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:56 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like you have every issue covered.
Did you have the block magnifluxed?

I feel your pain in a different area, second spun bearing after 10 hours because I did not replace the oil cooler and sent metal debris back into my new engine.
I am building spare engine now with the left over parts

Boating is to short in the midwest, I dont feel bad this weekend because it is supposed to rain again
Old 06-09-2005, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever check your water pressure ?.....I have seen this very same thing with crossovers. High Pres.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I would listen to Birdog on this one and check the pressure. I would also reconsider your choice of crossovers and get the recurc. pump back on. After reading your first post you had temp problems (too cold) with hot spots.

Disclaimer!
One of the few times I'd listen to Birdog He has been known to make some questionable choices
Old 06-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Registered

If I am to put the recirc pump back on how will this eliminatethe water getting in the oil? HOw does the water get in the oil if my gaskets look good with good seals around the cylinders??? Thanks for the help!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Registered

If I remove the thermostat for now will that tell me the same thing?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:48 AM
Registered

What should my water pressure be> WHere do I check this? Chould I put a pressure gage inbetween the crossover tube and the thermostat housing?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Crossovers (on non blower apps) cause strange temp issues including too cold of temps and steam pockets. The other issue that can show up with crossovers on all applications is sky high water pressure thats why Birdog keeps asking what your pressure is. It can blow by gaskets and this may be why you saw signs of water on both sides of your head gasket it did not damage the material but was able to weep into the engine.

Listen I am not even close to being an expert but I do read tons of material and have some true life experience and conversations with my gear head friends

Please to a search on crossovers and read some of the bigger threads on them 10 to 1 you will want to put the recurc pump back on. If you look at your original problem with the pump and then what changed it just seems to be the "common" part change that had the right symptoms follow it. You need a fresh start and a different direction to look check your water pressure! Buy a cheep pressure gauge and thread it in a blocked/tapped passage or even in a pinch pull the Temp sender out long enough to see whats going on!

I hope some of this makes sense. Best of luck
Old 06-09-2005, 08:00 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Search on Crossover

Read some of the above threads this may help with your problem
Old 06-09-2005, 08:07 AM
Registered

Thanks so much for the advise. DOes anyone have an idea what my pressure should be? I got a gage but am not sure if I am talking about needing a gage to read like 10 PSI or one that would read 70 PSI.

Quick Reply: Water in oil... Again and again and again and again....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.