Mechanical Oil Gauge Fitting ??

Notices

Mechanical Oil Gauge Fitting ??

Old 06-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mechanical Oil Gauge Fitting ??

I have trouble trying to get the small plastic line and brass ferro to seal. Last night I had my dash out and when I started my engines it leaked all over the back of the gauge and filled my gauge with oil. Now it's junk!

I have replaced the ferro numerous times and even with the slightest turn of the wrench they seem to distort and leak. I would also like to know if I should be bleeding the air out of the tube to the gauge so when you fire up you see oil pressure right away. I think bleeding the line is causing some of my trouble. But I can't wait 20 sec to see pressure.

Any past experience or help with this aggravation would be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Mechanical Oil Gauge Fitting ??

I would be scared of the plastic line breaking when your not watching the gage . I have seen them run like a #3 areoquip type blue push lock hose and fittings and work OK. But more expensive

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

First off thanks to Trick Marine I had a new gauge delivered as promised with a nice T-shirt that I had on too long on a 90 degree day for our poker run It was black

Now this is what I found out and I have to be honest I'm not happy with the answer. Livorsi includes the wrong ferro with the kit. It should be like the one on the right in the attached picture. This is the one that Sun and NAPA sell with their hose kits and is made not to crush or cut into the tube. The one on the left of the hose is the one Livorsi provides that is FOR COPPER TUBING!!!!

I had a horrible time with my electric oil gauges going out, they were back then the Gaffrig/Livorsi brand with the light that would flash on/off even if it showed good pressure I worked with Ed at Livorsi and others on the board went through 2 gauges and 2 sending units and they would work for a bit and then fail. I still can't believe the light would flash on and off while under way with the gauge showing good pressure then it would bounce all over the place. I hooked up a mechanical gauge in its place a few times and it always showed good pressure. But while under way with the electrics it was to nerve wracking to not see good oil pressure all the time and this is why I put in 2 new Livorsi mechanical gauges.

So now my troubles are over not quite. I always had a small oil leak at the gauge because the ferros would distort and cut into the tube. I bought many of the ferros because every time I tried to bleed the line it would crush and leak. Now keep in mind I'm talking finger tight with a half turn to trying to stop it from leaking.

The last straw! When I was working on the boat this spring I noticed oil all over the cabin door because it was leaking again! So I turned the gauge panel around and started the engine to try and seal it with a new ferro and thats when my gauge filled up with oil destroying it and giving Trick Marine some more cash!

After talking to a friend of mine he explained what I should have so I went to NAPA and the guy knows exactly what I'm talking about and hands me a line kit with the right ferros! I install them with the new gauge and guess what NO leak.

I just got back from Autozone because I closed the cabin door after this weekends run and it had oil all over it, yes the other gauge is now leaking so I went out and bought the right fitting I also have a small amount of oil in the bilge that is no doubt coming from the block fittings that are wrong

So with all this trouble and expense (gauges) I feel a bit miffed that I had to figure all this out and it should of never happened in the first place. I know the answer I would get if I called Livorsi and I don't want to hear "well no one else has had this problem" so I am typing it here.

I like their gauges and I will use them again it just frustrates me that I have bought a total of 5 gauges I would like someone to throw me a bone I think I deserve it.
Attached Thumbnails Mechanical Oil Gauge Fitting ??-dsc00571-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Scott; 06-07-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi Scott, I have a mechanical oil gauge going to my dash as well. I use Auto Meter gauges and run with very small copper tubing from the gauge (helm) all the way back to the engine where it is connected to a fitting that goes through the deck. I also have the ferrals with the fittings. The starboard side has a bit of a leak back where the -4 braided hose connects to the fitting coming through the deck near the back of the engine on the brass/copper ferral side (not from the Aeroquip baided line/fittings), but all is well where it connects to gauge up at the helm. The port side is fine. I will take a few pictures for you to see my set-up. I may eventually install all -4 braided hose from the helm/gauge back to the engine with the Aeroquip flared fittings----pretty expensive, but it will save the grief with the leaks, and be much safer.

I also am running a mechanical water pressure gauge with copper tubing from the engine compartment up to the helm as well---no leaks that I can tell. Hope this helps you out a bit. Nice seeing you here again.

Mark

Last edited by KAAMA; 06-06-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Thanks for the response Mark

I think the nylon tube will work in my case I have a nice clean non chaffing run to the dash. This is what Livorsi and others supply and hope it will work out once I use the right fittings. If I have to I will change over to something better but I have so much time and money tied up in something that should of worked in the first place I hate to change it again.

I hope to hear from someone that is in the business and can either tell me I'm full of it or say hay you know what your right thanks for the input and what can we do to help! Like that will ever happen
Old 06-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

ttt