Procharger intercooler >

Procharger intercooler

Notices

Procharger intercooler

Old 06-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger intercooler

After pressure testing my Procharger AW-504, I discovered that it was leaking. Has anyone had any luck cutting one of these apart and fixing or repairing the internals? I was wondering as well if a radiator shop couldn't make a custom radiator piece to fit inside this, since basically it is the same thing.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Registered

Default Re: Procharger intercooler

It depends on where its leaking, in my view. If the "tank" is leaking externally, it can probably be easily fixed. If the core is leaking water into the intake tract, (which it sounds like from your post) one or more of the inner tubes is either cracked or corroded through.
If it's the latter case, your best bet would be to trash it and buy a new one than to try to fix it and have a massive internal water leak destroy your engine.
Or, better yet, if your budget allows, upgrade to an R-Tech setup.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Registered

Time for this.
Attached Thumbnails Procharger intercooler-rtechred.jpg  
Old 06-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Registered

Turbojack: Damnn, that sure is purty!
Old 06-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Registered

Good news, we cut one side off the intercooler, where the 4 inch discharge tube is and the leak was two pin holes right there. Easily fixable. I did however do some research and found out that there are cores available to fix these intercollers or weld up your own for that matter, rather cheaply. If you can weld or have a friend who can, these Procharger is easy to make. It is easy to see after cutting it and looking inside. No way would I pay $1500.00 for a new one after researching this information. Type in intercooler on Ebay motors and you get a picture of how they make them. Lots of pieces and cores on there.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I use several suppliers for intercoolers, and I have had some experience buying cores and welding . Yes you can buy cores and weld on your own tanks, but the welding is tricky. Too much heat and you can affect the brazing solder that holds the core together, getting a leak internally that is impossible to fix. When you go back to the core manufacturer they say it's your problem. Cost to fix a leaker is the same as the cost of a new core. Been there, done that. That's why we only buy welded and pressure-tested assemblies. We send our tanks to them. Costs more but it's the only way to control the liability for leakers. Cheapest thing for you to do is pay Procharger for a new core. If you found some pinholes now there's more of them that are almost leaking. Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Registered

Thanks so much for your input. Tomcat I understand that you certainly build a nice intercooler, I'd like to able to, but at this point I don't want to afford one, just too many things on my plate. It is going to be very inexpensive to fix the pinholes and weld it back up. I am rolling the dice and if i get thru the summer I'll consider it a success. The only reason I found the leak was that I had a Jesel exhasut rocker arm bolt break and the water had no way to get out. I'll consider it a cheap water injection for detonation prevention Thanks again.

Last edited by jspeeddemon; 06-28-2005 at 08:27 PM.