oil pressure problems from stock hardware >

oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Notices

oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Old 07-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Good info Smitty; especially about bends, elbows and fittings. When I was redoing a pair of 502s I took the opportunity to change the oil plumbing. whoever did it before had used 3 brass 90s between the block adaptor and the oil filter housing. I also changed the bypass as you said, eliminating the 4@90 degree turns within the block (that passage that directs oil to GMs oil cooler connection.) Getting rid of those restrictions means more pressure and flow actually gets to the engine.

How is the boat running?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcat
Good info Smitty; especially about bends, elbows and fittings. When I was redoing a pair of 502s I took the opportunity to change the oil plumbing. whoever did it before had used 3 brass 90s between the block adaptor and the oil filter housing. I also changed the bypass as you said, eliminating the 4@90 degree turns within the block (that passage that directs oil to GMs oil cooler connection.) Getting rid of those restrictions means more pressure and flow actually gets to the engine.

How is the boat running?
I just got the new tailpipes 2nd day air today so boat will hopefully be running in the water before weekends over. I would have been done today except i got roped into fixing a stranded travelars transmission at last minute today . The simple 3 hour job turned into 8 hours of hell! . You know how it is having a business,your family and BOAT come last,Smitty
Old 07-03-2005, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had oil temp and pressure problems on my modified 502 MPI's. Had temps that were going to 300 degrees on full throttle runs. I purchased the entire setup from the 2002 500EFI including the oil cooler that mounts in the back and the steering cooler. their housing that mounts to the block has a thermostat and a pipe opening where I mounted a oil temp sending unit. I also took out the elec oil temp guages and ran mech oil pressure guages. All oil and temp problems are now gone and engines stay in normal ranges. The only drawback is the cost, but everything bolts in perfectly.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:01 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^
Old 07-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: oil pressure problems from stock hardware

From the posts I have read from Wobble...he is now my CEO...Wobble knows his stuff!!

Welcome to Hydro-Oil

How long have you beeen using Mobil-1 filters and Mobil-1 20W-50 V-twin?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the owner of the shop that dynoed my motors told me synthetic oil is a waste of money...i think i'll be running the m1 v-twin as good oil is less exspensive then engine parts
Old 07-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ratman
the owner of the shop that dynoed my motors told me synthetic oil is a waste of money...i think i'll be running the m1 v-twin as good oil is less exspensive then engine parts
I had same experience on baker engineerings chassis dyno. We tuned car until we had the highest hp/tq numbers at full operating temp then changed oil to a high quailty synthetic oil(sentinel) and saw 15-17 ft lbs of tq average at peak on 3 runs in a row over valvoline racing oil. This was on a car that only put 250hp to the tires,we thought the dyno operator would be interested (after he insisted it would make NO noticable difference) but he said because he never heard of it he would never run it? ,Smitty
Hydro,i recently talked to carlos at sentinel and he wouldn't give me exact percentages but he said they have a high zddp level,their base stock is a partial diester blend and of course they have a high level of virgin molybendmium dissulfide indefinately suspended in their oil,Smitty
Old 07-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great advice,and your time smitty.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Vandeano,this is the oil thread that should enlighten you,Smitty
Old 12-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Registered

I just had to bring this one back up. While I was working on my engines, I remembered that someone hed asked how to plug the oil bypass. I had this done at the shop that rebuilt my engines because this way all oil goes through the filter and cooler. I was told to watch my oil pressure gauges to make sure that the filter wasn't getting plugged. So far with normal oil changes, I haven't noticed any change in oil pressure. You can see from the picture it is a 20mm dia. freeze type plug driven in and staked in four places.
Attached Thumbnails oil pressure problems from stock hardware-dscf0498.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (08-04-2020)

Quick Reply: oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.