Trim/Tilt Cylinder and Fluid Change Help Needed >

Trim/Tilt Cylinder and Fluid Change Help Needed

Notices

Trim/Tilt Cylinder and Fluid Change Help Needed

Old 07-15-2005, 04:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim/Tilt Cylinder and Fluid Change Help Needed

The marina filled my trim systems with Power Sterring Fluid. I was opping things off and noticed the pumps have a label that says "30W OIL" and that;s what the TRS Manual says.

I'm going to replace the Trim Cylinders tonite and have couple of questions--

1> Does it make any difference--PS fluid or 30W oil ??

2> Replacement trim cylinders are filled with 30W (previously used cylinders)--should I flush pump side with 30W Oil or trim cylinders with PS sterring fluid ???

3> I'm getting corrosion/elelctrolysis on trim cylinders where the indicator actuators attach with the stainless steel clamps. I don't believe the continuity springs were installed on the outer attachment shafts. What are used to replace thos springs if they aren't availabe?

4> Manual shows a "conitunuity Washer" between star washer and prop--what is that made of ? Does anyone use that on TRS drives with Mirage props?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Registered

Default Re: Trim/Tilt Cylinder and Fluid Change Help Needed

Would really appreciate some comments--gotta do this thing at 6AM so I can get in the water. Would hate to F'up trim cylinders or pumps cause I didn't make good choice. I've searched all the forums and no trhead even gets close.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2005, 07:25 AM
Registered

I would think the pump would be OK with either oil, all the trim systems i have seen have used PS fluid or ATF. I am guessing the continuity washer is toothed lock washer type to make a good electrical contact. Are the indicators aluminum where the stainless steel clamps are causing corrosion? Then it is galvanic caused by the electrolyte (salt water ) and the dissimilar metals. You can make them similar (same galvanic compatibility) or remove the electrical contact between them.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:37 AM
Registered

Mike--

Thanks for the info--I think I'm gonna use the PS fluid and just make sure as much of the 30W oil that's in the cylinders is drained out and go from there since the pmps and lines are all filled with PS fluid. It's not the space shuttle.

The corrosion on the cylinders is where the stainless clamps go around the aluminum so I think you're right---dissimilar metals. I got some rubber sheets from Ace Hardware thatt I'm going to cur to isolate the clamps from the cylinders.