Marine Lubrication >

Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 07-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

After this next change, I'm going to try Kendall GT1 40w. Lot's of folks running that down here. I'd like to see how it compares to the 20w50. It'll be a 20 hour test also.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Mobil-1 Delvac 15W-40

This would be a nice oil for a cruiser in moderate temps.

Definately lots of anti-wear additives...great offshore oil as well add to your list of considerations if you want a 40wt.

I was asked today what I would use. My reply was:

10W-40 Mobil-1 motorcycle oil in cool-cold weather; Delvac 15W-40 would be great for small blocks and cool to warm weather...then haul out the V-Twin for the 90 degree days of summer.

How about 15W-50 Goldcap?

It's great unless you are a fanatic like me who likes overkill.

I just want to clear this up. Not telling anyone they are wrong. there are two different products here. There isn't anything as Mobil 1 Delvac 15w40... There is Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 which is a heavy duty diesel engine oil. This is for diesel engines. It runs at a 0 weight at start up and people freak out b/c oil pressure drops dramatically. It's great for cold start up temps, I KNOW! It's the million mile engine oil. I have seen the blocks. The other product is DELVAC 1300 Super 15w40 which is a HDMO as well. It's an extended drain heavy duty diesel engine oil. NOT to be used in cars or gas trucks. The other Mobil 1 product is Mobil 1 5w40 truck and SUV. Secret, it's Delvac 1 in a Mobil 1 bottle. SHhhh. Don't tell anyone. They also use it in Ferrari's. Just tryin got clear up the air. Make sure you are all using the correct products.

Cheers
Old 07-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to try the rotella t 15w-40 in my 502mag mpi they have 260 hrs on them with k-n oil filters please tell me if this is not a good idea i live in Vancouver Canada my engine water temps 175 max don't have oil temps sensors
Old 07-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Registered

I would never put a HDMO formulated for diesels... We have had people do it in cars and destroy engines...... As a person who sell's that product, I would not put my name on that recommendation...
Old 07-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vandy, I've been running HDMO's (HDEO's) for over 20 years in my gas motors. Rotella, Delvac or Delo, sometimes Pennzoil Longlife. Ran several to 200k plus miles. I also use it in my old cruiser's motor with 1200 hours on it. Never had a problem, and the engines stay squeaky clean. I switched to Delvac in my wife's Trooper recently and cured the oil consumption issue that those motors all have. Formerly used about 1 qt every 2k miles. Now it uses none.

You know much more about oils than I do, but I didn't think there was anything in "diesel" oil that would hurt a gas motor?

Jim
Old 07-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Registered

Wow......... We have had some problems in the past and ExxonMobil or Mobil back in the day recommended not using them, or that could of been our crotchety sales engineer who was an ass. They do though carry an SL approval on 1300 Super and Delvac 1. Which means that you can use them on your gas vehicle, all-though that's not what it formulated for or highly recommended. I guess you can even teach us in the oil biz a few things. All-though I have a lot to learn since I am only 24. We don't go around and sell the product like that though. We had some guys try and sue us and ExxonMobil b/c they put Delvac 1 in their light duty and saw a tremendous drop in oil pressure. They tried to state that we destroyed their engines last fall. If you look at the PDS for Delvac 1 and Mobil 1 5w40 they meet a lot of the same recommendations, but they market too two different groups. Helps them go to market I guess. One goes after HDMO and one goes after light trucks. If it works go for it.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Registered

i have been doing searches on the rotella and people seem to like it in gas engines lots of fleet vehicles the ratings for gasoline engines on the back of the bottle says SHELL ROTELLA T recommended for gasoline engines API SL SJ SH i was going to use mobile1 15-50 synthetic but my mechanic said to only use a 40wt oil and its hard to get some oils up here so i need some advice.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Registered

If that's what he recommends, then you can go with that. The benefit of Mobil 1 is that it is a full synthetic and there are benefits of longer life, better detergent dispersant's, etc. Rotella T, Delvac 1300, Delvac 1, Delo, XD-3 and I think Citgard are all API SL approved. I would recommend Mobil 1, but if he feels that's the road to go, I would try and trust the mechanic. This is unfamiliar territory for me. We have always used and recommended Mobil 1 for different aps. The HDMO for marine I would like to learn about though.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

I compared many virgin oil analysis samples of gasoline and diesel engine oils. It seems many diesel engine oils have a higher magnesium (mg) level. Gasoline oils around 0-5 ppm of mg and some diesel engine oils around 500 ppm of mg.

Magnesium is a detergent and barium is what is put into diesel engine oil for "soot" control. Diesel burns dirty and some of the dirt called soot gets into the engine oil. This soot is carbon and it can form huge deposits in diesel engines quickly.

Magnesium is a detergent and is a metallo-organic compound.
It is more "abrasive" than sodium, calcium, boron and the phosphates. It is designed to "scour" and "lift" deposits from surfaces and then to keep them suspended until they get to the oil filter or until the oil is changed.

A few SUV and Truck oils also have higher levels of mg.

My best guess is that an aluminum block may not be too happy with lots of mg...but I don't know for sure. If a diesel engine needs this to prevent large build up of carbon from soot it is the lesser of two evils. A worst case scenerio is it could increase wear as well as keep the engine clean. Personally I don't see myself using diesel oil in my gasoline engine anytime soon.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-25-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Registered

well i guess i will not use the rotella oil and go with the mobile1 15-50wt synthetic every one here seems to use it

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.