Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 03-25-2009, 03:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
I ran an entire season of the AMSOIL series 2000 20w-50, 52 hours. I did an oil analysis after the season, and the oil was actually still good to use, however, I did change it anyways, I just like changing everything once a season. I have twin 496ho's, with Bravo X drives. Everything ran great!
I did oil analysis after the season was over on two occasions with the Amsoil Series 2000 20W50 racing oil and the additive package was still good. The hours were not quite as many as yours. I change at the end of the season regardless as well.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
I did oil analysis after the season was over on two occasions with the Amsoil Series 2000 20W50 racing oil and the additive package was still good. The hours were not quite as many as yours. I change at the end of the season regardless as well.
Thats good. I mainly just do the analysis to see if anything else is going on. Maybe gasket leaks, fuel detection, things like that. The AMSOIL oil is so strong I don't even worry about it, except for the level in my crankcases. Now if I was running 100+ hours a season, I might do more analysis, but I still believe that oil would still be perfectly fine.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is there anything in an oil designed for long term servicabilty that may not be in a racing oil that a typical oil analysis may not check for? Corrosion inhibitors for example?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Is there anything in an oil designed for long term servicabilty that may not be in a racing oil that a typical oil analysis may not check for? Corrosion inhibitors for example?
These days with very low zddp in automobile oils there is a need to label oils with high zddp in a way to set them apart.

they may be labeled "racing" or "Motorcycle V-twin" or even "offroad".

In a good balanced high performance oil you want a decnent load of moly; lots of zinc and phosphorous; calcium; some mg; boron corrosion inhibitors..etc

A true racing oil like redline racing does not have detergency...one race and out...
Old 03-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
These days with very low zddp in automobile oils there is a need to label oils with high zddp in a way to set them apart.

they may be labeled "racing" or "Motorcycle V-twin" or even "offroad".

In a good balanced high performance oil you want a decnent load of moly; lots of zinc and phosphorous; calcium; some mg; boron corrosion inhibitors..etc

A true racing oil like redline racing does not have detergency...one race and out...
Well that being said, and knowing that even the Amsoil racing has reduced additives, would it be advised to go with a conventional oil such as the 15w-50 Mobil vs the new dominator amsoil racing. I don't know about you guys, but i don't want to run the amsoil 30 hours, send it in for eval, and find out it was worn out when i changed it......
Old 03-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
Well that being said, and knowing that even the Amsoil racing has reduced additives, would it be advised to go with a conventional oil such as the 15w-50 Mobil vs the new dominator amsoil racing. I don't know about you guys, but i don't want to run the amsoil 30 hours, send it in for eval, and find out it was worn out when i changed it......
History has shown you can't go wrong with Mobil V-Twin 20w50, buy it, use it, change it.

Ken
Old 03-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anecdotal evidence: I have done oil analysis every year for four seasons with engine hours from 90 to 36 with Merc 25W40, MI VTwin & Amsoil Series 2000 20W50 racing. There has always been plenty of reserve additive package that I could have run longer. Now running M1 15W50 Gold Cap and will see the same result.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Registered

Anecdotal evidence: I have done oil analysis every year for four seasons with engine hours from 90 to 36 with Merc 25W40, MI VTwin & Amsoil Series 2000 20W50 racing. There has always been plenty of reserve additive package that I could have run longer. Now running M1 15W50 Gold Cap and will see the same result.
I am guessing you will see more than enough. I wouldn't worry.

Ken
Old 03-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought i remember reading in this thread, that it was advised to run the silver cap vs. the gold cap.............
Old 03-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

I thought i remember reading in this thread, that it was advised to run the silver cap vs. the gold cap.............
Either is fine...the GoldCap has a higher TBN for longer extended use in cars.

SilverCap is fine if you change out every 20-40 hrs..

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.