Marine Lubrication >

Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 02-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Where's a good place to order the Mobil1 V-twin from?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I was asked why additives such and Zinc..Phosphorous..Calcium..Antimony..Molybdenum etc are so important...

Well these agents are known as "Boundary Lubricants"...they say a picture is worth a thousand words...any questions??
Hydro, calcium is not a reserve boundry lubricant, however it os still very important, it is in the detergent package, without it the contaminents of combustion would not be removed when you drain the oil.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Registered

I see your point and it is well taken. It happens that motorcycle oils are the toughest beasts out there.

As far as out-drive lubes go there is more specific chemistry needed I feel for an outdrive vs. an axle. That plus testing. Auto lubes are not tested with water contamination or foaming as drives are much more punishing and subject to different environments and temperatures. The seals are also different.

The Mobil1 V-twin has lots of anti-corrosion agents and a load of ZDDP. It should be labeled "marine" as well as it is perfect for the application.
Any good automotive gear oil rated GL-5 would work extremely well in an outdrive application. Synthetics would be better than petroleums. As far as working with water contaminination....... don't. You should change your gear oil at the first signs of water contamination, regardless of how much water your gear oil can "hold". Water is a lousy lubricant. Ken
Old 02-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by minxguy
Hydro, calcium is not a reserve boundry lubricant, however it os still very important, it is in the detergent package, without it the contaminents of combustion would not be removed when you drain the oil.
I felt the same way and you probably are right...but Amsoil told me they use calcium as an anti-wear agent...think they are right?
Old 02-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by jaybird
I have seen it at WalMart for $7/qt
Old 02-28-2006, 06:35 AM
Registered

I felt the same way and you probably are right...but Amsoil told me they use calcium as an anti-wear agent...think they are right?
NO, I do not think they are right. I have spoken to many Amsoil "reps" and they all say the product is the greatest but they do not have any knowledge of the chemistry. They do however have a bunch of graphs and charts"all from their own labs"showing the superior performance of their lubes. They still do not own a refinery or an additive company but say the "first in synthetics". I think that honor went to the Germans in WWII. The Germans had no oil fields available to them. I also question the distribution of the product, even thought my barber can become a Amsoil dist. I don't think I would trust his knowledge on oils. Ken
Old 02-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Registered

New stuff with the right base and additives for you towing guys...

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...ewID=news_view

Wow you beat me to the punch to post it. I forgot I had this information 5 months ago. Just never thought to post it.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jaybird

I can hook you up with an ExxonMobil distributor in your area.. I've hooked up 30 ppl so far on here and counting.. I just have to get into my XOM distributor directory. E-mail me and I can send you a copy of the list of XOM distributors in your area. They've been very helpful all over the country.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:47 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

I cant find the M-1 5w-40 yet, will be putting it in my 06 Duramax at the next change which will be around 12k miles.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Registered

It's no longer the 5w40 tuck and SUV. It's now 5w30 and 5w40 Turbo Disel b.c of a lawsuit. It's was the same as the Delvac 1. You should see the 5w30 truck and SUV soon.
Attached Files

Last edited by vandy021; 02-28-2006 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.