Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 07-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

The Amsoil is expensive, even at dealer/preffered customer cost which is about $80 a case but that's much cheaper than street price per quart. I just order 2 cases, 1 for me and 1 for someone else.

The filters (yep, EaO-24's are them) are $12 dealer/preffered customer cost. Of course you have tax and shipping to toss in. Example, 1 case and 1 filter was $111 delivered.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by SeaRay Jim
The Amsoil is expensive, even at dealer/preffered customer cost which is about $80 a case but that's much cheaper than street price per quart. I just order 2 cases, 1 for me and 1 for someone else.

The filters (yep, EaO-24's are them) are $12 dealer/preffered customer cost. Of course you have tax and shipping to toss in. Example, 1 case and 1 filter was $111 delivered.
Which Amsoil Oil do you use?
What application?
Like the new oil filters?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Which Amsoil Oil do you use?
What application?
Like the new oil filters?

Still using the 20w-50 Severe Service Racing Oil (as labeled on the bottle) It's the TRO.

Application is a mild 540.

I'm on the first of the new filters but I can't really speak to how well it's working as I haven't done any UOA nor do I have any to baseline from. I know they look much better in the black. And I know that with the new TRO and the new filter, I'm using less oil, at 10 hours it still looks really good even though it's the first run with it so it's mixed with a little of the old oil. Oil pressure is more consistant, not as high when cold (was to high I think) and it the motor starts and idles much easy when cold. It used to take 2-4 starts to get it to keep idling. 1 start and it'll idle fine now.

The other case I ordered is for a friend with a NA 540 also but a little wilder making more power. He was/is also running Valvoline so we'll see if he can tell any difference.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SeaRay Jim
Still using the 20w-50 Severe Service Racing Oil (as labeled on the bottle) It's the TRO.

Application is a mild 540.

I'm on the first of the new filters but I can't really speak to how well it's working as I haven't done any UOA nor do I have any to baseline from. I know they look much better in the black. And I know that with the new TRO and the new filter, I'm using less oil, at 10 hours it still looks really good even though it's the first run with it so it's mixed with a little of the old oil. Oil pressure is more consistant, not as high when cold (was to high I think) and it the motor starts and idles much easy when cold. It used to take 2-4 starts to get it to keep idling. 1 start and it'll idle fine now.

The other case I ordered is for a friend with a NA 540 also but a little wilder making more power. He was/is also running Valvoline so we'll see if he can tell any difference.
Sounds good...Amsoil deserves the attention we have displayed towards their products over the past few posts.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I got a call from an old friend who is now an oil mixologist...

He is mixing M-1 15W-50 EP with 20W-50 V-Twin....he got the UAO's back after 50 hours in 525's ...very hard use...the numbers showed the oil was about 60% spent and no significant wear...

Why did he mix those two? He wanted to add back in some friction reducers and cut the cost a bit...

Most synthetic blends are no different in some respects...mixing a straight 40wt with 15W-50 M-1 has been done with good results...

It's really hard to screw up it seems if you decide to mix and use your head a bit...

But it really isn't usually needed...only for those like me who like to play.

Just avoid mixing a 5W-30 and a 20W-50...the viscosities in mixing need to be close.

For you conventional users the kendall 40wt mixed 50/50 with 15W-50 M-1 is a good consideration.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-10-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone going synthetic for the first time thsi season oil or drives?
Old 07-17-2006, 05:19 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm now running Mobil 1 15-50 in my blower motors. When I was running petroleum oils, I'd change it every 10 hrs. I now have 13 hrs on the M-1. Should I still be changing it every 10 hrs. (they run rather rich, I'm sure there's some fuel in the oil)

I bought the V-Twin over the weekend. I'm going to run it next change.

Last edited by Biggus; 07-17-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hydro,
Im using Mobil 1 15-50 EP in HP500s. If I need to add a quart and the local store is out of that exact oil, what is the next best thing to add or mix in??? The lower weight still staying in the EP (I think its 10-30)? Or try to stay with the same weight even if its not EP?? Just make sure you stay Mobil 1 synthetic and the weight is not as important?
Thanks
Old 07-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ActiveFun
Hydro,
Im using Mobil 1 15-50 EP in HP500s. If I need to add a quart and the local store is out of that exact oil, what is the next best thing to add or mix in??? The lower weight still staying in the EP (I think its 10-30)? Or try to stay with the same weight even if its not EP?? Just make sure you stay Mobil 1 synthetic and the weight is not as important?
Thanks
Straight weight 40 mixes in very well.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
I'm now running Mobil 1 15-50 in my blower motors. When I was running petroleum oils, I'd change it every 10 hrs. I now have 13 hrs on the M-1. Should I still be changing it every 10 hrs. (they run rather rich, I'm sure there's some fuel in the oil)

I bought the V-Twin over the weekend. I'm going to run it next change.

Do I still need to change the Mobil 1 oil every 10 hrs?

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.