impeller question >

impeller question

Notices

impeller question

Old 08-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default impeller question

the impeller wore out on my 502 mag this weekend and spun all the blades off....some of the larger pieces were still in the housing, however, not all of the pieces were in there. do i need to worry about these other pieces damaging other parts of my engine or will they be trapped somewhere accessible that i can get to so i can clean them out?

i appreciate any suggestions
Old 08-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: impeller question

When my 502 stopped pumping water, we pulled the impeller and only a few vanes had come off.. the impeller rubber had the consistency of plasticine ,, The mechanic said he'd never seen one feel like this...Fortunately we counted the number of missing blades and backwashed the cooling system and got back the matching number of bits. I have a FWC 502 and they're easier (or more efficient) to backwash.
If yours is'nt FWC I believe that the bits may have penetrated deeper into your engine... I think that I've read here before that you can sometimes even find stuff in the thermostat housing .
Do it right or risk chasing cooling gremlins for the rest of the summer .

S
Old 08-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Will22,
You have to get all the parts out of the system. They will restrict the flow and cause the engine to overheat. The next stopping point would be at the cooler. Take the hose loose, remove any parts, then backflush. Make sure that you catch the pcs. to insure that you have everything. Then replace the hose, rebuild the pump and go boating. Good Luck.

Dail
Old 08-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Registered

I just went through this 2 weeks ago.......

Several fins were missing from the impeller. I took off the hose on the front of the oil cooler and from the back and flushed like hell. Some will flow out, most will be stuck on a little lip on the back transom side of the oil cooler. You have to get in there with your fingers or something to probe them out as they won't flush out. The front of the oil cooler has a grate like look to it with only small holes visible, on the back of the oil cooler, it's all open for several inches. With twins, it's a ***** to get at, with a single, should be simple.... make sure to get them all out, they are in there somewhere and will restrict flow!!!

Good Luck!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Registered

thanks guys...i appreciate the comments. sounds like i got a little knuckle busting to look forward to this week.