alarm wiring questions >

alarm wiring questions

Notices

alarm wiring questions

Old 08-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default alarm wiring questions

want to wire alarms for oil temp, water temp, oil pressure what should i do buy extra senders for each to wire to siren for the alarm? there is a small red light in the center of my gaffrig oil pressure gauge can i take power of one of the poles on the back of the gauge to power the alarm? thx, ratman
Old 08-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: alarm wiring questions

The Gaffrig warning light is an internal system in the guage I don't believe there is a terminal on the back for a buzzer. The senders are diffrent for a light or buzzer, you need a switch not buzzer. If you go to Napa and ask to look at the book you can find the switches that activate at the paramter you want and have the thread you want. You don't have to run a seperate wire for each switch to the dash you can hook them up in series just jumping from one to the next and then to the dash from the last one in line. Make sure you get a buzzer that is loud enough to hear. The emergency exit buzzers out of a school bus work great I used to run them in my Baja bug.(so much bouncing I couldn't watch the guages so all I had were alarms and lights, differnt color for eah switch) If you want to run the diffrent color lights you will need to run a wire for each switch though, The switches control ground, they are grounded to the block through their body and then you run a wire from the terminal to the negative terminal of the buzzer, and just hook the posistive terminal of the buzzer to an ignition ground. If you want to get real high steppin with it you can install a timer that makes it so the buzzer won't activate until the key switch has been on for a desired period of time so you don't have to listen to the buzzer during startup.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: alarm wiring questions

Hillbilly24 is basically right. The buzzer/light is connected to a switchable 12V power source (ignition switch) and is grounded through a normally-closed oil pressure sender and a normally-open water temperature sender. The senders are wired in series so that either sender will activate the buzzer/light. The senders ara available from any decent auto parts store like NAPA. You just have to be a bit creative and ask for the temp and oil senders from a 1962 Chevy without gauges.