KPM super Slim Pump Release brought forward thanks To OSO Forums >

KPM super Slim Pump Release brought forward thanks To OSO Forums

Notices

KPM super Slim Pump Release brought forward thanks To OSO Forums

Old 09-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KPM super Slim Pump Release brought forward thanks To OSO Forums

KPM have had on the test bench The super slim staged pump for the last 3 months and this product was not due to be released until Miami (even fred at trick did not know about its existance). But due to several discussions with OSO members we have realised that pumps of any make are clashing with the stringers or oil pans. We have realised that with engine developments space is at a premium. Today we have just taken 4 advanced orders for delivey next month.

The pump has the same operational capability as our existing pump but it is only 3 1/2" in diameter. The pump is the same length as the regular pump. The chamber configuration is the same. The pulley boss has now been made more versatile with double locking keyways and greater strength.

The pump is a stripped down version of the standard pump but not as versatile. To save on size and space each chamber has to be fed individualy. This pump should only be used for extreme space problems and is not a direct replacement for our existing staged pumps. Please talk to fred at trick or myself or dan at KPM for best advice.

The way this works is by using a junction. which splits one feed from the strainer into two or three feeds (dependant on pump) into the side of the pump. this junction can be positioned on the inside of the stringer if desired . The out puts come out of the chambers idividually. There is no back feed or front feed capability. The junction also has the option of an electric flow meter connected to an alarm in the cockpit.( again due to be released in miami)

The pump is more expensive with a two stage coming in at $800 . This is because we have had to do some very complex blind machining to gain flow characetristics.

I would be interested in knowing peoples views on space requirements and any design features that may be desired.

Oh Yes would like to clarify a point that was brought up about our pumps shaft.

Jules technical soap box

Our competitors are stating that we use an aluminium shaft and it aint as good as stainless steel. (not exact terms used)
Well sorry to get technical, But If we were using a standard 6061 grade of aluminium then I would agree . However , we do not ! We use 7075t6. Which is true aerospace grade alloy that they use on 777 wing spars. This material is extremely strong and also good against corrosion. This is the same material that we make the chambers from and gives it its wear resistance. Thats why we do not need stainless steel wear plates . Ironically We buy this material from America!!.
Alloys and materials have moved rapidly over the last 20 years.

KPM originally run stainless shafts , and we discovered that over a years worth of running that the double lip seals were cutting a groove in the stainless up to 1mm deep. This did not effect the performance but our fear was at some point the seal would give way ( 3 years later not heard anything). Also as we all Know mixing metals in salt water is not great and sets up galvanic reaction. So as purists we decided to unify the materials. When the aluminium shaft is hardcoat anodised and impregnated with silicon its wear life increases about 3 fold.

Also the shaft will not break or shear since the drive belt will break along time before the shaft. I have all the test results and data sheets if anyone would like them.

Yield strength stainless 302 275MPa
in tension 7075T6 4.4% CU 410 MPa
6061T6 255MPa
Titanium 825Mpa

We have fully tested our pumps and why would we offer a two year no argument warranty , it would not make good business. What have you got to loose.

Boating is my passion and the last thing I want is to meet angry customers when I am having fun .

The bottom line is that it is a big tough world out there and , If my competitor makes a better quality pump, at a better price , with better warranty and performance. Thats not our competitors fault its ours for not being on top of our game.

Sorry for this !. KPM just want to make Nice products that
customers are happy with and get good value and customer service.

Tech tip
6061-t6 is not aerospace grade alloy. The following specs are 7075T6, 2014T6. 6061 is great for decorative billet work and thats about all. Safety critical parts should be made from the grades mentioned above.