motor spec's please evaluate

Old 10-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: motor spec's please evaluate

reread it

I hope he hasnt done the work.

I would tyhink You can buy 2 500efi for around 25 and another 15-18 supercharge them.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 10-21-2005 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
reread it

I hope he hasnt done the work.

I would tyhink You can buy 2 500efi for around 25 and another 15-18 supercharge them.
Rob,this guy has already had this work done. The real sad part is the builder is not really following thru on the final tune AND My impression is Electrical one ALREADY OWNED the 454 HO BLOCKS,CRANKS AND CYLINDER HEADS!!!!!!!
Smitty
Old 10-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Rob,this guy has already had this work done. The real sad part is the builder is not really following thru on the final tune AND My impression is Electrical one ALREADY OWNED the 454 HO BLOCKS,CRANKS AND CYLINDER HEADS!!!!!!!
Smitty

Smitty why don't these people ask us for advice or help before they could of gone a different route and had a lot better motor.I have had people PM me asking for advice on stuff like this before and was glad to help them.

So I would assume it was a 415-425hp type motor So he will be limited on hp with the stock style components.

Again from what he is telling us there is a lot of labor$$$ that this guy is doing?But 50k

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 10-21-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Again from what he is telling us there is a lot of labor$$$ that this guy is doing?But 50k
Strip Poker, I know---pretty scarey isn't it???... and that's why I posted those labor sheets from a well known precision, performance machine shop in our area. I would think it should give at least a BASIC IDEA anyway, of what a person should be paying for, i.e, the machining processes involved, engine assembly, etc.-----especially in light of what he was charged for in engine labor costs----GULP!!!
Old 10-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As a comparison, I built similar engines a couple of years ago out of a customers 454's. I used polished 3.3 Whipples instead of prochargers. Seems like the bill came out to about 35k for the pair including Stainless Marine exhaust with custom risers, installed and tuned the best I can remember. Your specs sound like a pretty solid package that should give many hours of good performance.
Bob
Old 10-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bob I Know These Motors Where Not Cheap By No Means, I Just Wanted To Know If The Specs Look All Right. The Builder Is A Retired Mechanical Engineer And Is Very Precise From What I Can Tell And Waste Alot Of Time Until Its Perfect (sometimes I Think He Does To Much Thinking), But One Thing You Have To Remember We Don't Have Many Good Boat Engine Builders Up Here That I Know Of. Up Here There Car Motor Builders, Who Think Motors For Boat Are The Same, From What I Can Tell I Asked Way Back If Anyone Knew Anyone From This Area. The Closes Response I Think I Got Was New Jersey. I Don't Feel Comfortable With Someone So Far Away If I Have A Problem. When Was The Last Time You Heard Of Good Boat Mechanics Coming From Ri Except Outerlimits. Seems Like Most Of The Good Ones Are In The Middle Of The Country Or On The East Coast Down South. If You Break Down The Cost Of The Motors, It Does Seem Like A Lot For The Work Done, But There Was Alot Of Work. Everything Is New In The Engine Compartment Except The Transmissions, Bell Housings And The Original New Blocks And Heads I Had.
The Procharger Set Ups Where 11400.00 For 2, Subtract That From The Motors Builders 36000.00 Thats 24600.00 For 2 Motors, Thats 12300.00 Ea.. Old Motors Torn Down, Machined, New Parts And Labor, Reassembled And Fully Dressed To Be Installed, Including Procharger Assembly Labor. The Only Things That We Reused Where The Blocks And Heads. The Rest Of The Money Approx. 14000.00, Was All The Other Things That No One Ever Figures On, New Sea Water Pumps, New Carbs. 800 Cfm Holley Marine, All New Hoses (sea Water, Fresh Water, Fuel), Motor Installation, New Gages Needed, Wiring, Fuel Pumps, Fuel/ Water Separators, New Oil Coolers, Plug Wires, Ignition, Rev Limiters, Plugs, Carb. Jet Kits,
(should Have Bought A New Boat, Been 2 Years Of Hell,)
Old 10-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electrical1, it is easy for others to look in from the outside and say you spent too much. From the amount of work you had done the price may be high but seams resonable. If you had more knowledge and resources I'm sure you could have saved some money, but hindsight is 20/20!

Now, I understand you are trying to solve a problem. I am not a mechanic and cannot comment on your engine specs, but I do have experience dialing in prochargers. I had a pair on carbed 502s.

I read your other posts so I have an idea of symptoms. As said before the key is fuel delivery. I had a problem where I would hit 4500 rpm. I would push the throttles the rest of the way and no change. I had boost and the right fuel pressure. It turned out to be the pick-ups in the fuel tank were too small. I change them and problem fixed. You've stated that you hit a certain rpm and then the rpms would drop. All I can think of is too much fuel. Did you look at the plugs immediately after this happened?

Or, any debris in the carbs? Pinched lines? Too many 90 degree fittings? Are the fittings a true 1/2"? I mentioned in your other thread about your plug wires. You cannot have solid core wires. I made the mistake of switching to solid core and I could not reach high rpms, and also the motors would not run well and one of them would just shut down.

Worse comes to worse, take the belt off the Prochargers, set your fuel pressure to 7 lbs, re-jet the carbs or borrow a pair, and see if the motors run properly without the Prochargers. I would expect my mechanic to solve this problem without additional charges.

I like the way the Prochargers worked but chasing bugs gets frustrating and expensive.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Registered

Oh yea, as far as boost referencing..... I spent $1000 at Nickersen and saw no gains or improvements. So don't base alot on that theory.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I paid $26K for 2 complete rebuilds on my 580's which included new pistions, re-balancing and rebuilding the blowers. Block/heads/ and intake were reused.

I installed, rigged and tuned motors myself.

My guess is I would have paid somewhere near $40-50K with everything new but these motors are a different animal than what you have. You can get a 450hp 502 longblock for $7K.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:33 PM
Registered

I think he's more interested in solving his problem than discussing the cost.

Quick Reply: motor spec's please evaluate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.