SBC Custom Engine Build

Old 10-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: SBC Custom Engine Build

heres a 2995.00 SBC 412hp

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...%20engine.html

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dregsz
Not to be too picky but World Products makes Torkers, Basic iron head but does good with porting, comes w 72 cc chambers so good for a boat.
Dart does Iron Eagles and Pro aluminum heads.

These do sound like nice motors. There's no point (to me) in putting on a blower with 3 lbs of boost, you can get the same power increase elsewhere. If your going to blow em, it has to be significant boost to justify the expense.

I like big inch small blocks, much more then 350s in boats.
If you are building a 400-406, just step the crank up to 3.875 for a 415 -421 ci
I like big inch, Big blocks more. Not much more $$ to build if you're going custom. A 540 makes 600-660 hp much easier then a 434, but I digress...
Evan
your right!......they're Dart Iron Eagles......not torquers.....it was 1:37 am
An engine builder I know (ex APBA Grand Prix competitor and engine builder,definatly a "pro blower" guy) says for a pleasure boat (like mine) he would sooner run more compression and low boost (like 3 or 4lbs) as opposed to dropping the comp (like to 7.5:1 from 8.5:1) and running 10lbs of boost.......he says these things(im looking at) are set up like a Top Fuel motor (he didnt build them). not the best for someone who wants decent reliability and not have to freshen every 50 hrs......he says that yes you can make equal power normally asp but they idle too high for a boat and you wont beat the low rpm boosted throttle respnse (torque) of a roots blown engine......whatdya think????...i like to have several ponts of view
A guy I know was in the boat where these engines Im looking at were installed and he said that boat (a 26 Chris Stinger......the motors broke the boat....boat was scrapped) had an unbelievable holeshot...it would just leap directly from rest to on plane......
Lastly I know you can make way more power with big blocks but the boat I have (29 Fountain) and want to stay with is decently balanced in the rough with twin smallies (lots run a single big block) twin biggs are impossible to work on (mines pretty good) and too azz heavy in the rough (mixed up Poker run type conditions.....the singles run away although the top ends are very similar.....the twins come on plane and accelerate much harder though).....I know lots of smallblock guys are running boats that are too small for a big block......thanks for your input!.......doug
Old 10-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

hope I wasnt too long winded..........