Gen VI,mark IV crank timing help please

Notices

Gen VI,mark IV crank timing help please

Old 12-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen VI,mark IV crank timing help please

I have a Gen VI 502 block and crane cam to suit.The stroker crank is a Mark IV with an adapter.My question is will i use a Mark IV flywheel and what timing chain setup will fit ?Anybody with a Gen VI timing cover for sale?Thanks for any help.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Gen VI,mark IV crank timing help please

If I am not mistaken,the gen 6 has a single row timing chain.When I built my motors I wanted a double row chain for reliability.I had to buy 2 custom covers from Scott shaffiroff racing in long island Ny.They were 1 piece billet with adjustable timing pointer.Around 200 bucks apiece.You must bring #1 piston to top dead center and realign timing pointer on the harmonic damper.My builder didnt and I ended up with a pile of scrap metal!Hope I answered the right question.You also will have different part numbers for crane cams gen 6 and gen 5.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:40 PM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gen VI,mark IV crank timing help please

Yes, you would want to use a mark IV style flywheel,a gen 6 flywheel looks about the same ,but is balanced different because with the one piece rear seal there is not an external weight on the crank.A gen 6 stock timing cover only has enough room for a single row timing chain.Imco makes a cast alum piece that will clear a double roller chain.If you have a gen 6 style cam then you may be limited on chain choices.Look on cloyes web site .You can also find a stock stamped steel gen V timing cover this is the low buck alternitive.

http://www.cloyes.com/images/CloyesH...rmCat-2002.pdf
Old 12-14-2005, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the input guys.A Gen V timing cover won't fit because i have a gen VI block.Will the Gen VI timing chain and sprockets fit with a Mark IV crank?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Registered

I do not believe a Mark IV cam sprocket will match up with a Gen VI style cam. I know on the Crane site, different part numbers are listed for the same grind, depending on which gen. block you are working with.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you bought a Gen VI roller cam with the turned down nose, you need a Gen VI timing set. The Gen VI crank gear should fit a Gen IV crank.
Use a Gen IV fly wheel; a Gen VI won't bolt onto a Gen IV crank.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:21 PM
Registered
Gold Member

scoggin dicky chevrolet sells a billit steel gen VI timing chain that is indestructable. they are curantly out of them. i am waiting for two my self. also a gen V flywheel wont fit on a mark IV crank the bolt flange is diffrent.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

there is only one good timing chain for the gen 6 engines and it is the rollmaster this is a great chain!! most manufactures just put there name on there chains or in cranes case they dont even put there name on it it still says rollmaster on the sproket !! they are a little spendy but worth the money and also have an 8 way crank sproket for cam shaft timing and from what i found all the keyways are exact to the tee!!! hope this helps !!
Old 12-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Registered

comp cams makes a nice chain for your motor but you need to talkmore about your balance job, ihope your going neutral / internal balance with that flywheel ?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Okay guys so far i think i need to use a Mark IV flywheel and a Gen VI timing set and cover will work.Does that mean the balancer will also need to be Mark IV or are they all the same ?

Quick Reply: Gen VI,mark IV crank timing help please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.