do you keep #4,s tucked in  ? >

do you keep #4,s tucked in ?

Notices

do you keep #4,s tucked in ?

Old 12-24-2005, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you keep #4,s tucked in ?

I have heard for the best top end with speedmasters at high speeds you should keep them tucked in .Is this true . I guess these are called surface drives .Not much in the water is it .
Old 12-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: do you keep #4,s tucked in ?

I suppose it matters what boat they are on and how they are mounted. My boat has 2 4s and 1 3. Boat does nice in 1-2 feet with them out about line 3-4 on my indicator. I just bought the boat in the summer, so I haven't had the time to figure out what line 3 relates to in terms of drive position.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it you got a new toy for Christmas! Trim it out till it start to drop off speed and the RPM go up, then bring them back in. Every boat is different. Hope you can come by New Years Day.
Tommy
Old 12-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Its way different from a bravo setup. Bravos start with negative trim when their all the way in. My speedy 4 uses very little trim . Very easy to over trim and loose speed. Every transom angle is different. Get good indicators and a GPS and go to town.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I am looking at installing a pair of 4's. Are parts available to rebuild them?
Old 01-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told that #4,s are faster than #3,s because of the shorter gear case and less drag. If and only if you can carrie the nose of the boat. I opted for the 4 over the 3 for that reason. I was told if its hard to plain off it will be fast, not true it still has to be deep enough to carrie the nose, Im not having much luck on flying the nose yet but im not giving up. I have a 30ft single V bottom. You can add spacers to the 4 to lower the drive but they are not very hydrodynamic. Actually square in the front. Also plaining of was a problem because the 4,s dont have a cavitation plate so I made and added one now no problem with that anymore. Myself would opt to go with a #3 if I had to do it again. And back to your question, most parts are still available. Gears are not if its a pollygone shaft. The older ones are. Mine drive is a polly, but their is hope their is a company that can put a poly shaft in newer gears. And last you can expect to loss some speed if converting from a bravo setup , the tranny and drive are like sponges with HP. Im down about 5 MPH.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Registered

Can you get 4 blades for a speed master ?How much ?
Old 01-02-2006, 05:19 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

You can get the 4 blades in small shaft used for around 1700-2500 and large shafts slightly more maybe 2200-3500 depending on prop size and work done on them. Typically large pitch/dia seem to be more in demand.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Registered

Odd thing i noticed , In the driveway when one motor is put in gear the boat instantly shuts off. Does a drive problem exist or transmission problem .Prop spins free when in nuetral while boat is running .Im thinking the idle might be a little low .Any thoughts .Wanted to trouble shoot but it started raining HARD
Old 01-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Does the engine die or does it lock up?

Could be the drive or the trans if the motor locks up when shifting. If it just stalls, you either have to richen up the carb a little or you have a vacuum leak.

Need to know more details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.