Will 1" HVH Carb Spacers Help? >

Will 1" HVH Carb Spacers Help?

Notices

Will 1" HVH Carb Spacers Help?

Old 12-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will 1" HVH Carb Spacers Help?

Im trying to squeeze every last hp out of my hp500's without loosing reliability. The heads have been ported, compression brought up a little, changing cam to a crane 731, bumping the rev limiter to 5500, would the 1" carb spacer help?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Will 1" HVH Carb Spacers Help?

It may or may not help on the dyno, but I doubt you would see any difference in the boat. Carb spacers, either open or 4 hole is unpredictable and has to be tried out on each particulair application.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Registered

sure...some machine work on your carbs or changing over to sea daemons would work nice too.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Registered

"but I doubt you would see any difference in the boat"....but, that is the real question or answer, depending on how you look at it
Old 12-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Registered

Im looking at every little bit helps. If its good for a TRUE 10hp, then its worth it to me. Thats the real question, will it be a 10hp gain?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baja, I played with HVH Supersuckers last winter as part of a cam/carb upgrade with some port work on a pair of HP500 blocks (well, sort of). We tried the 1" model on the dyno with marginal results, but the 2" model really woke up the motors. Initial numbers with the 2" HVH bumped me 18hp. Keep in mind that adding a spacer will lean out the mix, and we saw this in raised EGT readings.

Believe it or not, after increasing my jet sizes up to 95's, we saw a total gain of 55hp vs the best pulls before adding the spacer! It took 95's to bring the EGT's down into the 1400 range.

I'd highly suggest that your tuning be done on a dyno. Lean = high EGT's = holes in places you don't want.

Good luck, and post your results.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 12-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Registered

if you have done the cam and porting then machine/blend your carbs or swicth to the sea deamons...you will gain 10hp no problem. i take it your in a single engine app?

if you have done a cam...have you played with cam timing and props...there is always something there.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by audacity
if you have done the cam and porting then machine/blend your carbs or swicth to the sea deamons...you will gain 10hp no problem. i take it your in a single engine app?

if you have done a cam...have you played with cam timing and props...there is always something there.
Its a twin engine 36' baja outlaw.

The engine shop was talking about getting the cams timed in, and once we get the motors tweaked, I will start with the props. Ive got a set of 26p bravo ones labbed by throttle up, and a pair of 26p hydro qiv's. that will give me a good base point to start.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Registered

good advice brain.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by p4-33
Baja, I played with HVH Supersuckers last winter as part of a cam/carb upgrade with some port work on a pair of HP500 blocks (well, sort of). We tried the 1" model on the dyno with marginal results, but the 2" model really woke up the motors. Initial numbers with the 2" HVH bumped me 18hp. Keep in mind that adding a spacer will lean out the mix, and we saw this in raised EGT readings.

Believe it or not, after increasing my jet sizes up to 95's, we saw a total gain of 55hp vs the best pulls before adding the spacer! It took 95's to bring the EGT's down into the 1400 range.

I'd highly suggest that your tuning be done on a dyno. Lean = high EGT's = holes in places you don't want.

Good luck, and post your results.

Cheers,
Brian

what kind of hp did you end up seeing on the dyno?

Quick Reply: Will 1" HVH Carb Spacers Help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.