Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New Motor on dyno spins bearing?? >

New Motor on dyno spins bearing??

Notices

New Motor on dyno spins bearing??

Old 01-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New Motor on dyno spins bearing??

I have heard of this type of thing happening before. Look at it this way it is better to have it happen on the dyno in the hands of the builder than when the motor is installed in the boat! No human is perfect and this could and probably has happened to even the BEST builders out there! They aren't likely going to post their experiences with hurting motors on the dyno, but it does happen. Hopefully the explanation is clear and the fix is easy!
Also I agree the cooler is done once filled with metal. You can flush until you're blue in the face and there will still be some trash in there!

Craig
Old 01-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your point about having the filter after the cooler is a very good one if the engine was set up that way when a bearing problem occurred cause that way the filter would catch anything missed from the external plumbing. But if it was set up with the filter first when the failure occurred, wouldn't the filter have prevented the foreign matter from ever getting to the cooler? --- Jer
Old 01-06-2006, 10:08 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jpclear
Your point about having the filter after the cooler is a very good one if the engine was set up that way when a bearing problem occurred cause that way the filter would catch anything missed from the external plumbing. But if it was set up with the filter first when the failure occurred, wouldn't the filter have prevented the foreign matter from ever getting to the cooler? --- Jer
It should. It depends on whether you have a pressure bypass in the block and or filter adapter. Often these are plugged in HO marine motors. Many filters have an internal bypass which might open in the event of a stopped up filter. I am not sure how it happens, but I have gotten metallic oil out of a cooler after a bearing failure, that is with filter before cooler. Maybe it's drain back?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
It should. It depends on whether you have a pressure bypass in the block and or filter adapter. Often these are plugged in HO marine motors. Many filters have an internal bypass which might open in the event of a stopped up filter. I am not sure how it happens, but I have gotten metallic oil out of a cooler after a bearing failure, that is with filter before cooler. Maybe it's drain back?
OK, I can follow that. But if we are going to plug our filter and bypass the junk anyhow, what's the point? We are doomed either way. And I still feel that hot oil will flow through a filter with less resistance than cold oil, thereby reducing the chance of the filter being bypassed. --- Jer

Last edited by jpclear; 01-06-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jpclear
And I still feel that hot oil will flow through a filter with less resistance than cold oil, thereby reducing the chance of the filter being bypassed. --- Jer
Totally agree with you on that.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Registered

My oil pressure sensor is at the front of each block, as far from the pump as it can be. The oil flows through the filter,thermostat, the cooler and 10 feet of hose before it gets to the engine. At cold start up, it runs 90lbs of pressure. Must be going through the filter ok. At 150 degrees, pressure is just starting to drop back to normal running pressure. My conclusion is it doesn't matter either way. BTW, I plugged the bypass in the engine.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:20 AM
Registered

When I changed my factory oil cooler with one from Teague I had to change my oil lines. The factory oil line fittings were to small. But I couldn't believe how my oil pressure changed from changing to bigger lines. Went from 60 to 90. INCREDABLE!
Old 01-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vandeano
When I changed my factory oil cooler with one from Teague I had to change my oil lines. The factory oil line fittings were to small. But I couldn't believe how my oil pressure changed from changing to bigger lines. Went from 60 to 90. INCREDABLE!

Isn't pressure a measure of restriction??

PatriYacht mine is the same as yours and I pluged the bypass also.

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Registered

Yes restriction gives more pressure but it all depends on your situation, in my case I think the larger lines produce more volume and more flow which in turn produced more pressure. I think the stock lines actually choked my pressure. Kinda like get comparing a garden hose to a fire hose. Which will have more pressure.

Im sure someone on here can explain it a lot better then me, so you can better understand why I got better oil pressure.

Last edited by vandeano; 01-07-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Registered

We are really entering a whole new area here. If it was easy to do we would have oil FLOW meters rather than oil PRESSURE gages, cause actually that is the important thing. Your oil is the MAIN cooling medium in your engine, not the water. Of course we need the water to cool the oil and help keep all that cast iron and aluminum at temps. that will allow the oil to do its job. And oil plays an ever so important roll in reducing friction to keep wear and temps. down. But any pressures more than necessary to operate your hyd. lifters and supply the necessary QUANTITIES of oil is counter-productive. And any pressures over about 65# can be a BAD thing. Ask cstraub or the folks at STEFFS. They are the true oil management gurus. --- Jer

Last edited by jpclear; 01-07-2006 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: New Motor on dyno spins bearing??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.