Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
what is the ideal water temp for a hi po n/a engine? >

what is the ideal water temp for a hi po n/a engine?

Notices

what is the ideal water temp for a hi po n/a engine?

Old 01-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: what is the ideal water temp for a hi po n/a engine?

Originally Posted by Wobble
Mine runs 165-170* with 240* avg oil temp.

Crossover with bypass setup
I think you need a bigger oil cooler. 240 is too hot.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Dean, I am using cam driven water pumps. I like them because they help dress up the engines a little nicer and it's one less belt/pulley. Some guys don't like them because they don't pump as much water as a conventional braket mounted water pump, but they seem to be working well for me. Water comes in through a transom mounted pick-up, goes through a sea strainer, then through the oil cooler, and then into the engine. The pressures I see at WOT are about 18 pounds of pressure. At cruise it's about 12-14 lbs and at idle it is about 7 lbs.
I have tried them once and do not use them anymore. A single stage Merc,Hardin or Eickert seapump will move more volume of water most certainly. In a single stage set 1 1/4" marine hose from the pickup into a sea strainer and then though the oil cooler and into the engine. You are always better to have too much water flow than not enough. You can control the water pressure and volume in many way.

Dean Gellner
Old 01-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Question Re: what is the ideal water temp for a hi po n/a engine?

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
I have tried them once and do not use them anymore. A single stage Merc,Hardin or Eickert seapump will move more volume of water most certainly. In a single stage set 1 1/4" marine hose from the pickup into a sea strainer and then though the oil cooler and into the engine. You are always better to have too much water flow than not enough. You can control the water pressure and volume in many way.

Dean Gellner
Dean:
Are you comfortable with 240 oil temp? I respect your opinion.
Ed
Old 01-09-2006, 08:21 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
I think you need a bigger oil cooler. 240 is too hot.
I am comfortable with this temp. I run the M-1 v-twin, and in the four times we have been into this motor, no signs of any wear. This is oil pan temp BTW, it would be 200* or less by the time it returns to the motor.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Banned

I am fine with the 240 oil temp. If the engine is built right and good oil is used, your fine.

Dean
Old 01-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Registered

Smile Re: what is the ideal water temp for a hi po n/a engine?

I like the 120-140 deg range on a saltwater cooled motor.
Salt drops out and starts to crystalize and accumulate at higher temps. Especially at flanges, Ie. water ports, exh. water passages. Even if the motor doesn't overheat, corrosion is extremely increased by heat. Also when you shut down a hotter engine ,if not flushed , the salt crystallizes in the motor and also some water boils off allowing further corrosion, due to allowing oxygen to the salt and metal.
I feel that a raw water cooled motor should be cooled enough to prevent condensation in the crankcase. Oil temps should be managed high enough to get rid of any water vapor.
Although running a motor at 180-195 will make more power, with less emissions, it may not be the best for a RWC salt water boat. BBB
Old 01-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Question Re: what is the ideal water temp for a hi po n/a engine?

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
I am fine with the 240 oil temp. If the engine is built right and good oil is used, your fine.

Dean
The reason I ask is when I was racing they made me back off a little when the oil temp reached 230. We were running dinosaur oil back then. Were they just being cautious?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Registered

I don't know what the temp of your block was , but maybe they knew the oil would break down, or thin out or boil. Was it synthetic ? Remember the old commercial with the oils in the frying pan on the stove !!! You don't want that going on in the crankcase. Oil technology has come a long way in the past 25-30 years. Besides fuel injection, it's the reason why automotive engines are lasting almost twice as long as before. BBB
Old 01-12-2006, 10:13 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
The reason I ask is when I was racing they made me back off a little when the oil temp reached 230. We were running dinosaur oil back then. Were they just being cautious?
230 was being very conservative, their concerns probably reflected the tight tolerances in the motor. We run our race cars with oil temps up to 320* with the M-1 v-twin synthetic.

No bearing or oil break down issues whatsoever.

TUSA modified lite.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Registered

Yeah, don't want to grab a bearing and spin it. I like bigger tolerances , with better oil supply. Drilling the main feeds, cross drilling the crank, Better pump, 3/4 Groove hp bearings. etc... I've ran a few BBC's hot(get home-itis!) and usually hurt the bottom end. Even with the steel cranks, etc. It really is a good idea to monitor the oil temp. BBB

Quick Reply: what is the ideal water temp for a hi po n/a engine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.