hydro locked ? >

hydro locked ?

Notices

hydro locked ?

Old 04-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydro locked ?

My stb motor keeps hydro locking at restart after a long run .Smokes alot immediately after starting and worse after a long run.. Runs great . What do you think worn out gil manifolds.? These things are old style Gils too. The bad thing is my motors are 572,s and to replace the inboard manifold the motor has to come out. The manifolds are butt tight . We assume its manifolds any way. I can pull the outboard one tomorrow and pressure test . 2 PSI ?. The inboard is another story.It could still be a head gasket. Big Brodix aluminum heads .
Old 04-02-2006, 07:14 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Default Re: hydro locked ?

Can you just pull the risers and look down the manifolds? You will see water stains if they are the problem.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Registered

Well, if it's ingesting enough water to lock you up that often, you should see some milkshake in the valve covers or on the dipstick. Could be you have a fuel drain-down situation and/or a somewhat lazy starter when hot. Everything fine when you get it up and running you say? --- Jer
Old 04-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I don't think its hydrolocking. If it was, it would more than likely only do it once and then you would either fry the starter or you would have a bunch of internal engine damage.

Maybe vapor locking or the carb is leaking and flooding the engine while it sits.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:51 AM
Registered

what does your oil look like, color/ level ???????
Old 04-03-2006, 06:04 AM
Registered

Oil is fine no foam .The excessive very excessive steam leads me to think its water in the cylinders .But it runs perfect. Sometimes it spins fine at start up and sometimes its all bound up .Hell it ran 90 MPH yesterday .
Old 04-03-2006, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say: My stb motor keeps hydro locking at restart after a long run, then what do you do to clear the hydro lock condition ? Do you remove the spark plugs and crank the engine ? Or does it start in the second or more attempts ? If you remove the spark plugs then what comes out when you crank the engine ?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Registered

I guess Im using the term hydro locked because of the steam from the exhaust.The steam is excessive . But It could possibly be lack of water . Does seam to get less water . I am going to check the impeller. This motor goes to 130 degrees in the drive way in less than 2 minutes. No thermostat .
Old 04-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by boatman747
I guess Im using the term hydro locked because of the steam from the exhaust.The steam is excessive . But It could possibly be lack of water . Does seam to get less water . I am going to check the impeller. This motor goes to 130 degrees in the drive way in less than 2 minutes. No thermostat .

Excessesive steam? You don't have a water crossover instead of a water pump do you? Unless crossovers are set up perfectly that's just one of the many problems they can create.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Registered

I do have the cross overs. Both motors are the same , Set up by Joey Griffin years ago.How can the cross over cause steam ? I have always ran cross overs in the past with no problems .
Now I have blowers with the basic cross over and no bypass.
But only one motor steams ?

Quick Reply: hydro locked ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.