Default Re: Help! Burned piston

thanks for all the help! new fuel system on the way
Old 04-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MESABALANCING
Chris
30 degrees if timing makes the exhaust temp very hot people think this is safe when it actually does nothing but run the exhaust temp through the roof and reduces engines ability to make power efficiently. I believe and some guys will agree the valve was most likely damaged from heat from a lean condition which was also what damaged the piston I don't believe oiling had any part of damaging the piston either time you may have had bearings fail from detonation but oiling will not melt the piston like that pic shows. Give us some more details about fuel press and fuel oct. and we may be able to help you further. Best of luck in fixing it. Sincerely Laz
I agree with the timing being too late. I had one at 34 degrees and the other at 30 (unknown that I had a funky ign amp) and the engine at 30 definetly ran hotter. Got the timing back up to 34 and it ran fine after that.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab39
it uses a holley red pump, 6an lines all the way from the tank, through the pump, filter, to the carb. It has 5psi at idle and at cruise, I haven't been able to check at wot as the gauge is at the carb. the engine dynoed at about 660 hp at 4300 rpm. I've had a 'resident expert' tell me that the pump is too small. It has a demon 850 carb. What psi should I be looking for at wot? It has an msd dist and msd marine ignition.
I built a 406 small block years ago that made around 500 hp,the holley red fuel pump I had wouldn't keep up with it,sounds like you might have fuel supply issues,Smittty
Old 04-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Smitty is right another thing to check is if the tank or tanks have check valves in them make sure to take them out they can affect fuel flow even with a mak daddy pump and the water temp at 180 also seems very hot you may want to get a small mech press gauge and check the water press and the fuel press at WOT and make sure it's all good before you put it back into service you can get a cheap gauge and run it up to the panel and when your done just remove it . But all things considered you need two more gauges in the dash fuel and water press you'd be surprised the aggravation they will save you.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MESABALANCING
Smitty is right another thing to check is if the tank or tanks have check valves in them make sure to take them out they can affect fuel flow even with a mak daddy pump and the water temp at 180 also seems very hot you may want to get a small mech press gauge and check the water press and the fuel press at WOT and make sure it's all good before you put it back into service you can get a cheap gauge and run it up to the panel and when your done just remove it . But all things considered you need two more gauges in the dash fuel and water press you'd be surprised the aggravation they will save you.
Sorry to interrupt here..., what is best water pressure and where to place the sender.?
Old 04-26-2006, 09:21 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

When I first installed my motor I added a low fuel pressure switch made by NOS, very sensitive and adjustable, it is located in the fuel log. I set it for 5psi and wired it into the mercruiser alarm and added a prolight.

It went off the very first time I opened the motor up. After numerous changes I now have a Holley Black marine pump with #10 feed and return lines and a fuel log with return style regulator built in. My fuel pressure never varies from 6psi.

Probably overkill, but I was looking for a consistent fuel pressure and that's what it took.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fbh-velocity
Sorry to interrupt here..., what is best water pressure and where to place the sender.?
I know there is plenty of opinions on this and I respect them all I run them in the block at the bottom I know they get plugged and I know they are not maintenance free down there but it's telling you two things the water press and also if you have anything inside the block that shouldn't be there sand debris grass if it gets plugged you need to know why before you tear something else up. I don't know about you guys but if it means taking the engine out to see what can be plugging the hose when you have a problem would save me a rebuild I'd want to do it.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Laz, Thanks for all the info, I'm sure it will save me money and grief! I'll be plumbing a water pressure sensor in the block like you mentioned. What gauge do you use?

***off topic***
Wobble, I noticed you mentioned a mod lite in the past, do you run in houston? I just sold mine, I ran it in houston a few times, but decided I could spend more money boating!!!!

Last edited by scarab39; 04-26-2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:02 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by scarab39
Laz, Thanks for all the info, I'm sure it will save me money and grief! I'll be plumbing a water pressure sensor in the block like you mentioned. What gauge do you use?

***off topic***
Wobble, I noticed you mentioned a mod lite in the past, do you run in houston? I just sold mine, I ran it in houston a few times, but decided I could spend more money boating!!!!
I am not racing myself at the moment, but am seriously looking at getting either a UMP Modified or a limited Modified. Both classes are very strong around here.

I was crewing for Dan Sikes and Kyle Anderson on the 54 & 55 TUSA Mod Lites.

This year Dan has a UMP Modified and Kyle has a SUPR Late model. The Modifeid has been a real learning experience, especially the rear suspension geometry, we got a 3rd last Saturday at Baytown against some strong competition. Kyle Broke his arm in Dallas so we wont run the late model until May 6th at Baytown.
Attached Thumbnails Help!  Burned piston-p1000291a.jpg   Help!  Burned piston-p1000364a.jpg   Help!  Burned piston-p1000442a.jpg  

Old 04-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=scarab39]Laz, Thanks for all the info, I'm sure it will save me money and grief! I'll be plumbing a water pressure sensor in the block like you mentioned. What gauge do you use?

Ditto?

Quick Reply: Help! Burned piston

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.