Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Reinstalling Recirculating pump? >

Reinstalling Recirculating pump?

Notices

Reinstalling Recirculating pump?

Old 05-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinstalling Recirculating pump?

Mark from Bam Marine says don't bother with drilling the t-stat and adding a relief valve to make my crossover work(allow engine to heat up properly). He says just put recirculating pump back on, it's there for a reason. What exactly is involved in doing this? My engines came with the crossover so I'm wondering what I'm getting myself into. I'm guessing it's just some bolts, gaskets, and a pulley/belt change? Everyone on here seems to be ok with just adding the relief valve, which is easier? Which is more likely to give me problems now or in the future?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Registered

Default Re: Reinstalling Recirculating pump?

This subject has been talked about so many times . do a search on the subject . I have questioned alot of things in reference to crossovers and no one could seem to give me a correct answer. I see alot of engines on here of all HP ranges with out waterpumps and they must work fine but when you ask a question you always here about water pressure , Relief valves steam pockets ,drilling therm. ect. I put my circ. pump back on just to be safe .
Old 05-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If Marc from BAM says it - that would be enough for me. The Mercruiser reps feel the same way.
You'll need some hoses, clamps and a different thermostat housing besides the pump.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Registered

I believe in the stock pieces OK, and I also have used the crossover. If you don't have the stock pieces now be prepared to spend some substantial cash for those "few" little pieces you'll need like thermostat housing, etc. Merc is mighty proud of their parts.