Stainless Steel hardware on a Cast Iron Block >

Stainless Steel hardware on a Cast Iron Block

Notices

Stainless Steel hardware on a Cast Iron Block

Old 05-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Steel hardware on a Cast Iron Block

I am trying to slow down corrosion on my new Fresh water cooled engines. Intakes and Exhaust manifolds are aluminum. I am powder coating the manifolds, brackets, and all the tin on the engines.

My question is, Anyone know if I will have problems using Stainless Nuts/Bolts to mount the oil pan, manifolds, waterpump, etc? I'm not sure what problems the dis-similar metals could cause.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Registered

Default Re: Stainless Steel hardware on a Cast Iron Block

Don't do it. I work for a meat processing OEM, and stainless fasteners suck. they will gall (get stuck) to anything, including stainless. They are also not as strong as a grade 5 or 8 bolt. Their thermal expansion is more than normal bolts, which is one reason they gall.

I wouldn't worry about the fasteners, but if you must do something, go chrome plated. They are expensive though.

Edit: Decking screws and the like, USE stainless.

Last edited by jmherbert; 05-03-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Registered

Ive used stainless for my exhaust manifolds with no problems for years. I would use them on anything that was loaded as they are not very strong.

hey jmherbert, who do you work for? Im the same business as a supplier. heading for Tarheel right now.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Registered

If you are using stainless like the ARP fasteners, you should not have these issues. The common stainless fasteners do not have quality threads and can gall although anti-seize will help. The ARP fasteners are not your standard grade stainless and will have the strength necessary for your engine building projects.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula31
Ive used stainless for my exhaust manifolds with no problems for years. I would use them on anything that was loaded as they are not very strong.

hey jmherbert, who do you work for? Im the same business as a supplier. heading for Tarheel right now.
Townsend Engineering.... I guess I should say Stork Townsend these days. I mainly work with our sausage co-extrusion (QX) machines. Who do you work for? I know we have a $hi% ton of skinners and other equipment there.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Registered

Bettcher Industries. Whizard Trimmers. I do all the Field R and D.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Registered

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking more along the lines of the 316 series Stainless Bolts for any of the high torque stuff...Intake / Water Pump. Then use reg 18-8's on the oilpan and timing cover.

FYI...My new Moore Aluminum Exhaust manifolds came w / Stainless Riser Bolts.

What are ARP fasteners?
Old 05-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Registered

ARP is a premium line of fasteners. They make fasteners for just about everything you can think of as far as Chevy (and other makes) engines.

The typical 316 grade of stainless is the one I deal with. I personally would not use standard 316 bolts or nuts on any cast iron or normal steel. I think on the risers you'll be fine since that is what came with them. They may work better with aluminum maybe because the thermal expansion properties are more similar.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pachangalpina
although anti-seize will help. The ARP fasteners are not your standard grade stainless and will have the strength necessary for your engine building projects.

here we go again, do not use anti sieze in marine apps...antisieze contains copper, and yes there are other anti sieze formulas but they all contain some form of metals use either merc 101 or aviation permatex
Old 05-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GOODT
here we go again, do not use anti sieze in marine apps...antisieze contains copper, and yes there are other anti sieze formulas but they all contain some form of metals use either merc 101 or aviation permatex
I said it would help never said use it. I would recommend ARP fasteners and whatever lubricant they reccomend for the specific fastener used and torqued to the setting for that fastener. Torques will also vary depending on the type of lube used.

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel hardware on a Cast Iron Block

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.