shifters real stiff? >

shifters real stiff?

Notices

shifters real stiff?

Old 05-22-2006, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: shifters real stiff?

The reason I asked what brand shifter is merc had a problem with the commander 3000 shifter and it would do exactly what you are stating

yes try disconnecting the cables in the engine compartment, and try shifting the shifter (after the cable to the out drive is disconnected in the engine compartment)

if that feels fine then it is either the other cable or the shift mechanism in the out drive

do not
Old 05-22-2006, 06:44 AM
Registered

Guys it was mentioned above a bravo X drive is different. I have a brand new XR drive that shifts hard and I was going to check it when I change the fluid. Is the XR different from a regular Bravo 1?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Registered

Grease the ball detent , sliding sleeve, I dont know this stuff. Im not sure if I will try it myself or not. Is this difficult to do? I am just a backyard mechanic. What cover do I take off, is it the one on the top of the outdrive? Where do I drain the fluid?

Last edited by 95caliber; 06-05-2006 at 08:24 PM. Reason: more questions
Old 06-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Registered

anyone,anyone?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 95caliber
anyone,anyone?
The back drive cover with 3 bolts in it comes off, must drain drive lube first, there is a cavity in that area that is not lubed by the drive unit, and that is where the shift lever and ball detent are. Mine had gotten water in it, was so rusted and corroded that the shaft arm was almost rusted in two, also could not shift any more. new ball, shift lever, gaskets, and a ton of lube, shifts like new! Good luck
Old 06-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Registered

Oh Yeah, to dain the lower unit you have to remove the prop, there is a screw under output shaft that is the drain plug.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
To remove the back cap you must drain the oil down to that level. If it isnt time to change your gear lube you can just drain a quart and then pull the back cap. Use Merc 101 lube to grease up the detent ball and socket and put a big gob on the shifter lever. One other issue is the lower cable. If it is bent, it will cause problems. Hopefully, greasing the detent ball will cure the problem and no cables need to be replace.. Let us know what you find..

Hope this helps
Dick
No one have the exploded view of a upper drive unit ????...cause i would like to understand all the mechanism ....hope i am clear ...and thank`s to take time to respond me
Attached Thumbnails shifters real stiff?-imgwrite.jpg  
Old 06-06-2006, 09:45 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not drain my drive to lube the shiffter guts, just pulled the back cover. It is a seperate cavity with very little grease on the parts inside, they can get water in as mentioned above so do a good job of sealing the cover when you put it back together. The late model Bravo's like my X do have to be drained, Merc finally got smart and copied the way Volvo intended for the gut to get constant lube. If you are going to copy a drive that many have not been torn down in 20-30 years do it right!

Edit: Honest a kid could do the job super simple!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Registered

ask and you will recieve
Attached Thumbnails shifters real stiff?-l040.jpg   shifters real stiff?-l041.jpg  
Old 06-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Registered

Thank's a lot Good T .....it's just what i looking for ....you ROCK....cause like you know my engish is not very good .....But with a Drawing ... i will understand for shure....

My drive is a Bravo 1 X .....can i assume it's like the drawing ??
Thank's again
Best Regard's
Attached Thumbnails shifters real stiff?-2005medgp-race06.jpg  

Quick Reply: shifters real stiff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.