Mesa's Baddest Turbo Power >

Mesa's Baddest Turbo Power

Notices

Mesa's Baddest Turbo Power

Old 06-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mesa's Baddest Turbo Power

Laz... you done any work with the LSx motors? The FI side of that is pretty big. I have a setup that drives FI guys crazy... its a rear mounted turbo (under my rear axle) on my LS1.... Looking to change my combo up some... shooting for a 9 sec daily drive with AC and power seats
Old 06-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
what are the cuin of these motors?
if these are the same ones I think they are it is somewhere around 350-380 cuin.

and at 12 lbs boost on 93 octane with that cuin and the heads you are running and the turbos you are running I dont think you can make that much HP. I actually wish you would because I have 632 cuin with bigger turbos and a way bigger intercooler then you I am running 20 lbs of boost on race gas, so if you are making 1440 HP then I have to be over 3000 hp.

What is a 3000 HP marine engine worth?

?????????????????????????????????????
Old 06-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
Re: Mesa Racing Engines Latest Project

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Powerboat magazine did a story about that engine a few years ago. I still have it somewhere. The engines put out big power but the outdrives couldn't take it. That was before #6 outdrives. Btw, the guy that built the exhaust for that boat lives in my neighborhood and does welding and fabrication still.

Quote: by Mesa
We modified the exhaust system turbos engine management systems waste gates and boost controll system and were currently modifing the cooling system because after disassembling the engine we found some areas that need to be addressed cams and valve trane are also areas of modification were working on my next post will have the exhaust system and modifications with the turbos and the waste gates installed

End Quote by mesa

you might want to go back and erase all your old posts before you go claming to have designed the equivilant to sliced bread. tell me if I am reading that post right, these engines showed up at your Nasa motor research and development marine engine shop with the water already not conducting morse code between the block water and head water and that you might be changing a fitting that the water flows through through them.

if not that then what did you extensively change on the cooling system?

not trying to bust your bubble, but I saw these motors before you got them.
The engines we're working on are using an exhaust system that was originally a quad turbo set up this is the exhaust not the entire engine the headers were modified by us into a twin turbo unit with more efficient turbos and waste gate set ups the cooling system in the engines we built have been used before by other people and we are not claiming that fame we are showing how we have used a different than conventional set up to cool these engines as far as I have stated everything has been clear the sealing rings we're using were not designed by myself or anyone in our shop and I haven't said that we machined and modified the blocks to use the same rings. If you have seen the engines somewhere or not I don't know I can tell you the EFI work thats gone into these engines and all the machine work to get them to this point in performance has been performed in our shop . I don't see were I have said anything to insult your intelligence or your neighbor that welds I'm posting info and pics in the tech section for people who enjoy this type of thing not to piss anyone off.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
Laz,

Care to share which oil you run in that bad boy?
I'm using rotela sae40 that's what I run in everything we dyno
Old 06-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Look familair.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ighlight=turbo

I know where there is another pair
Old 06-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I am interested in hearing more about the turbos, wategates and EFI tuning. I think Laz made it clear in the first post that was where the majority of the effort was going. He said they weren't his nitrogen rings but he has been using them in other racing applications so if he has a better way of installing them so be it.

Turbo engines from years ago did not have the benefit of todays better turbos, wastegates and EFI. If someone can better control the split personality of the turbo engine (not enough power to too much power in a flash) they will have made a great contribution. If Laz has a customer that wants to bankroll that R&D I say go for it and good luck.

Tom
Old 06-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Registered

Bigyellowcat
Now I see were you're going with your post you are building turbo engines that don't make the power ours make and don't want your customers to see the power we're making . That's understandable I can see a point the purpose of my post is again to show the OSO guys who like this stuff what we're doing not to outdo anyone else the engines we have and are working on are in our shop and the work and modifications we have done have been done here . The engines that are shown in the barn post are similar to these but the turbos fuel management and exhaust are not the same the cylinder heads are not the same the engines came to us with orings and copper head gaskets and they are no longer the small ci engines you're thinking about. I couldn't make statements about what you're doing in your shop if I have never met you or seen your operation and capabilities I wouldn't say you couldn't make the power your making because I couln't the engines are in my shop making the power their making with the work we've done that I can say. By the way this reminds me of the problem with Tomcat's intercoolers not being as good as yours. Enjoy the post that's what it's here for not to show who's better then someone else.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomcat
I am interested in hearing more about the turbos, wategates and EFI tuning. I think Laz made it clear in the first post that was where the majority of the effort was going. He said they weren't his nitrogen rings but he has been using them in other racing applications so if he has a better way of installing them so be it.

Turbo engines from years ago did not have the benefit of todays better turbos, wastegates and EFI. If someone can better control the split personality of the turbo engine (not enough power to too much power in a flash) they will have made a great contribution. If Laz has a customer that wants to bankroll that R&D I say go for it and good luck.

Tom
Tom the turbos we're using with the engine management system makes these engines as user friendly as your everyday marine engines . Garrett has really helped us with the development of the turbos and innovate has also helped us tremendously with the boost control anyone wanting to go turbo should really try their products.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Laz, I think the work you are doing is very interesting. I was being quoted from another thread about turbo motors. Please keep posting any info.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not to change the subject,but the seperate water chambers is interesting.

Has anyone considered using a 9.8" block with a solid spacer block on top? The spacer block would not have water passages.However,a fitted cylinder sleeve would start at the top of the spacer block and run to the bottom of the original engine block bore....Water would come in through freeze plug ports and exit through the water pump ports.

The heads would get water through the back and out the front,isolated from water in the block...The graphite 9.8" would be a natural for this.

Quick Reply: Mesa's Baddest Turbo Power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.