Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Presure Problem

youll get pressure but not very much
Old 07-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Registered

Why is that? I have a priming tool and hefty drill. Would it have enough presure to indicate on a mechanical gage. My starboard engine did, but I want to make sure that I am not chaing a ghost.

Also, I am afraid to start the engine without oil pressure. Thanks for the help

Last edited by OhioRiverCigarett; 07-06-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, do not start the engine. Put a good mechanical gauge back on the engine and prime it with the drill again. Didnt know if liked taking the distributor in and out so many times. Keep in mind it may also be like the other person stated, oil galley plugs may have been left out. I think you would still have pressure at the main cap at the rear, but we will see.

John S.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:19 AM
Registered

im starting a pool..... ive got 20 bucks that says its the galley plugs
Old 07-07-2006, 06:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, lets think about this for a second or two. Even if the oil galley plugs are out, they are above the oil pump and rear main cap. Where are there plugs: The back of the block above the cam- oil would be leaking out into the bilge. Front of the block above the cam- The lifters aren't moving so the chance of oil even getting there are slim to none. If its a GenV,VI or VII and the lifter valley plugs were left out again the lifters are not moving hense no oil to the top of the engine.You might have a little from the mains feeding the cam bearings but very little with a drill. When that oil pump is spinning it should be moving oil to the mains and the oiling system. The engine usually has to be in motion for the lifters and valve train to get lubrication. The 2 oil galleys we are refuring to should have pressure even if the other galley plugs are out, the only differance would be is the rest of the engine above those plugs wouldn't recieve enough if any oil for lubrication.
We dont live in a perfect world and ANYTHING as we all know is possible! Especially trying to fix something over the phone or internet with out seeing it for yourself!

John S.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Registered

Question Re: Oil Presure Problem

I know remote diagnostic are near impossible. I appreciate everyone help. I have never had to fight a no oil pressure problem in any engine that I have built . I have had low oil pressure because of old mains, but this is the first no oil pressure. To further complicate that it have flow (and a lot at that) but still no pressure. I am going to try to see if the bypass is stuck using air pressure as you suggested.

Dinner then an short evening project. Thanks again to all for the help. I am trying all I can not to pull the engine. I will update.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove spark plugs and have an assistant roll over the engine via the prop or prop nut jammed against another. Do this while priming with the drill. Use a 2K rpm drill. Look for oil off the rocker tips and keep an eye on the gauge. You should hear and feel the drill slow down when you get pressure.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Registered

I was unable to unstick the bypass or it wasn't stuck. I am going to check for oil plugs. Are we talking about the plugs under the timing cover? Are there any others I should look at? Thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the plugs they are refering to are under the intake manifold by the lifters. If these are removed you will have no pressure.