Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Can I convert my toilet?? >

Can I convert my toilet??

Notices

Can I convert my toilet??

Old 07-24-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I convert my toilet??

I have a Baja 342. I took up the floor today and to my surprise, there is no holding tank. I assumed sinse it had a pumpout on the side of the boat, that it had a holding tank. This ticks me off but nothing I can do now. It is just a porta potti with a pumpout hose.

Can I add a holding tank in the spot that it should be and then plumb it into the potti? Or do I need a hole new toilet that is designed to work with a holding tank? I would also like to add a discharge pump if I go to all this trouble.

Help................
Old 07-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Registered

Default Re: Can I convert my toilet??

I just went through the same thing on my sonic.... had just a porta potti... you'll have to see if you can get a retrofit tank to fit in the boat.... This is the hardest part, getting a retro tank in there...... Once it's in..... rest is easy... I went with an electric toilet with antisiphon valve.... extremely easy to install once you have a holding tank.... I contacted sonic and they sold me a retrofit tank that would fit.... just a ***** getting the tank in.... Good luck!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Registered

there are several kinds of tanks from box types to bladders so that shouldnt be an issue but the model/ type head you have may be ........$$$$ fixes just about anything, you may need to get a diff head to make it work
Old 07-24-2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by East Coast B
I just went through the same thing on my sonic.... had just a porta potti... you'll have to see if you can get a retrofit tank to fit in the boat.... This is the hardest part, getting a retro tank in there...... Once it's in..... rest is easy... I went with an electric toilet with antisiphon valve.... extremely easy to install once you have a holding tank.... I contacted sonic and they sold me a retrofit tank that would fit.... just a ***** getting the tank in.... Good luck!!!
Do you have a link to the toilet you used? The tank will be easy. Mine goes under the STBD side floor and a huge hatch comes off to put it in.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing you could do would be to install a macerator pump on the outlet side of the porta pottie, then run a Y-valve from the output side of the macerator-one side to a through hull and one side to your holding tank. That way you can empty the porta pot to either the tank or overboard (nice if you are flushing it clean with freshwater or in an emergency when the tank is full). My Formula has a y valve off the porta pot to a macerator and through hull on one side and to a waste pumpout on the other side. One other question for you-a porta pottie holds like 6 gallons-how much more pee do you really want to carry around??