Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
back flushing closed cooling on 496HO ??? >

back flushing closed cooling on 496HO ???

Notices

back flushing closed cooling on 496HO ???

Old 08-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: back flushing closed cooling on 496HO ???

Took the boat out this weekend, i'm having fluctuating water temps at idle, from 160 - 175, water pressure at idle seems low, around 3-4 psi, but is o.k. under-way around 35 psi, temps under-way appear to be ok too.. I tried back-flushing from the hose on the right side under the heat exchanger looking at the front of the motor, with the blue drain plugs removed, didn't appear anything came out. I was going to pull the end caps off the exchanger and see what it looks like before tearing apart sea-water pump.....
Old 08-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Registered

Chris,

It seems like I'm one step ahead of you. I back fkushed and took the end caps off my heat exchanger. Both were perfectly clean. Then I took the pump off and out (alot of fun) and opend it up and discovered the deep scoring marks on both the end plate and base of the pump. My impeller was perfect though. Searching back through old threads I ran into one by GOOD T who seems to know what he's tallking about on 496 and said if the housing is scored to not change the impeller unless it is bad because it will likely fail and cavitate because the new impeller will not fit well into the scored cavity. I decided to change it anyways though and guess what he was right! It pumped for a minute and then quit. Upon dissassembly again (not so bad the second time) it had flipped a blade on the impeller in the wrong direction which caused it to quit pumping. So I put the original impeller back in and everything was back to normal (170-175) all weekend.
The only fix is a new pump housing $269 from BAM complete assembly for an 03'. I think the newer model is a bit more.
If I were you I wouldn't even mess with taking it out till you have the new pump. I believe it is Arizona speed and Marine has a machine shop out there that will weld in the groves and machine them flat for like a $100, but I don't have time for all that.
Hope this helps and saves you some time, but I would bet anything that you've got the same thing going on that I do.
My new pump should be in Thursday. I'll try to take some pictures of mine apart so you can see were the bolts are that need to come out.

How were you getting your water pressure readings. Do you have a guage in the boat or are you using the scan tool?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Registered

There is a company called R&R in Lake Havasu City, AZ. that makes a kit that has stainless plates that go on each end of the 496 water pump housing, additional plates and gaskets to make it all work, a new impeller, and a new o ring. The kit makes your water pump better then new, and the cost for everything is less then $200.
I would post a link, but I think that is in violation of the boards rules, since they don't advertise on here, but I have been running the kit all year, and it works great. It's a lot cheaper then buying a new water pump that is going to score again anyway.
Also, when you take your pump off, it's easier to remove the pump by unbolting the mounting bracket then it is to remove it from the bracket while in the boat.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Registered

Phebus,

R&R was what I was thinking of. I asked them about those stainless inserts and they knew nothing about it. Just told me about the machine shop. PM me with that info please. I'm going to get my old one done so I have a spare.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Registered

I just mainly lurk here, and I'm not a member, so I can't send a PM. Do you know if I can post the info here, without violating the posting policy? I am in no way connectede to the company, I just found what I thought was a great, overdue product, and wanted to pass on the info.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Registered

Turnerrd,,, thanks for all the great info, much appreciated.... So you were experiencing the same exact symptoms as me ?????

My guardian mode only kicked in once for a split second while still in the no wake zone, have put about 4 hours on since and hasn't gone off again, just experiencing fluctuation on the water temps at idle, seems to be o.k. under way. I am reading water pressure off gauge on dash, idle is 3-5 and under-way I am over 35.

I'm still thinking some mud or sand is stuck somewhere because sometimes its fine, right at 160 and others it spikes to 175 and then back down, which it never did before I ran over the mud/weed bar, it was always exactly 160 or very close...

Please let me know if the scored housing ends up being / fixing your problem.. I am a machinist and could probably machine light scores out of the housing myself, wondering if that would mess up clearances, sounds like the SS plate kit may be the way to go, either that or a whole new ( expensive ) housing...

P.S. I dont see how posting a link is a problem, unless things have changed,, people post links all the time to products we use around here. Either that or please e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks again...

Last edited by Chris288; 08-14-2006 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Registered

The new pump housing and impeller didn't seem to do much. I still run 170'sh on plane and about 175-180 at idle. From what I've gatherted that is not all that unusual for a 496 and most of them run at about 170. One thing I did learn after reading the service manual in more detail is that the thermostat only starts to open at 160. It never fully opens until 185. I've heard that guardian mode kicks in at 180. This doesn't make sense though why would guardian mode kick in before the thermostat is all the way open? I know my guage has been at 180 before at idle and I have never gotten the single beep and flash to indicate guardian mode.
Does any one know if the sending unit for the guage is the same one that the computer reads off of? If it is a seperate circuit then maybe I need to change the sending unit for the guage.
Also how could I go about hooking up a dash mounted water pressure guage (Livorsi/Gaffrig) on a Velocity? I'm thinking of eliminating my drive trim guage since I have a mechanical indicator and the fact that Velocity never hooks them up to start with, just there to fill the hole.