Evinrude Guru's/ Dealers wiring harnesses >

Evinrude Guru's/ Dealers wiring harnesses

Notices

Evinrude Guru's/ Dealers wiring harnesses

Old 08-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Evinrude Guru's/ Dealers wiring harnesses

I've got a buddy who just bought an 1979 Glastron open bow with a 115 Evinrude. The boat has been in storage for 4-5 years. Surprisingly, it's in Damn good shape.
He took it out for maiden voyage (for him) this past weekend, couldn't pull over 2200 RPM.
We pulled the cover tonight and obvious mice / (wiring) corosion damage.
There are three wiring harnesses on the port, aft, top side of the engine that are toast, bad wires after the connector on top the cylinder, and heading up under the flywheel.
I'm trying to help a new boater out.
Can anyone here help in an easy replacement?? Availability? Dealers??
Old 08-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Evinrude Guru's/ Dealers wiring harnesses

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
I've got a buddy who just bought an 1979 Glastron open bow with a 115 Evinrude. The boat has been in storage for 4-5 years. Surprisingly, it's in Damn good shape.
He took it out for maiden voyage (for him) this past weekend, couldn't pull over 2200 RPM.
We pulled the cover tonight and obvious mice / (wiring) corosion damage.
There are three wiring harnesses on the port, aft, top side of the engine that are toast, bad wires after the connector on top the cylinder, and heading up under the flywheel.
I'm trying to help a new boater out.
Can anyone here help in an easy replacement?? Availability? Dealers??
Those motors were notorious for dry rot cracked wires which turn green & build high resistance= ign problems.
You will either have to splice each wire & possibly fight ignitions problems or get a new stator & wiring harness'
If the motor is truely sound & good EQUAL compression on all Cyl. then save the headaches & replace ALL the harness' & stator.

Rapair electronics
http://rapair.com/splash/index.html
Old 08-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Evinrude Guru's/ Dealers wiring harnesses

Lake-x - thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I had another buddy that had an Ev 225 early 80's, and it had some similar issues.
This is this guys first boat, I don't know much about OB's, but I'm trying to give him a hand.

When he was first trying to fire the motor, it was having a little trouble, and then we noticed the arcing between the two wires heading up directly under the flywheel (stator??).

Is this the possible cause of his lack of RPM??
I seperated the wires, and ran it on the muffs and it was turning fine - of course theres no load, and a number of other issues could be the cause of the lack of RPM, but would this also cause it??
I wasn't with him on the first voyage, so I don't know what happened, and he's a newbie, so he didn't have a clue what to look for.