Can you change a flywheel... >

Can you change a flywheel...

Notices

Can you change a flywheel...

Old 08-23-2006, 01:11 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can you change a flywheel...

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I just bought a new 168 tooth ring gear yesterday. It cost me $60 and change, from chevy dealer. PART# 460583. The list price is around $77.
On another note........ I have heard more than a few times that when changing to the high torque starter, there were issues with getting them shimmed correctly. I have found that that task is better done on a test stand, where you can blue the teeth to check the contact points between the starter and the ring gear. Not a quick fix at all! .02 Good luck.....
$18 at NAPA part number BK6003015 for 168 tooth.

There are instructions on shimming with the new starter (or there should be) basically with the starter pinion engaged with the flywheel gear you should be able to put a pin the thickness of a standard paperclip between the edge of the starter gear tooth and the bottom of the flywheel gear notch (snug fit there is perfect)

do not do this with battery cable connected as the starter will power up when you lever the pinion forward
Old 08-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I have to change a ring gear this winter, had a little mistake.. I just hope I can make it another month and a half...
Old 08-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Flywheel not likely to be bad, ring gear is mounted on outer edge of flywheel and can be changed, less than $50 installed on flywheel, it is important to get it on straight, you can change on motor like RatMan said if you know what you are doing.

Now I know what you guys are talking about. I didn't know there were 2 piececs to it. How do you go about getting it off if you have removed the flywheel from the engine??

This has been some great info from you guys!! Thanks a bunch!!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ratman
you can install a new ring gear without even removing the fly wheel from the starter if its the rear mounted starter type. just take an oxy acet torch and heat the ring gear til it glows red and tap it with a hammer it will fall right off, heat the new gear red hot and drop it onto the flywheel and tap it once or twice to seat it, work fast when installing the new gear as it will cool quickly. good luck , rm
LMFAO
Old 08-23-2006, 07:28 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 29scarab
Now I know what you guys are talking about. I didn't know there were 2 piececs to it. How do you go about getting it off if you have removed the flywheel from the engine??

This has been some great info from you guys!! Thanks a bunch!!
Many garages and auto machine shops as well as starter repair shops can do this.

Or you can heta up the ring gear with a torch and do it yourself (probably better if you dont do it in the boat though )
Old 08-24-2006, 05:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Have you put a dial indicator on the bell housing ? If not,the bell housing to flywheel alignment can cause starter gear misalignment.

Some engine block/bell housing/flywheel combinations require offset locating dowels.The offset dowels replace the straight existing dowels,in the engine block.

If the components mentioned are not centered,the transmission input shaft is out of alignment and probably the starter is also.

After the bell housing is dialed in,the bell housing stater bore location should be verified.

When everything is lined up, a pretty rough set of teeth will mesh.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:38 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CcanDo
Have you put a dial indicator on the bell housing ? If not,the bell housing to flywheel alignment can cause starter gear misalignment.

Some engine block/bell housing/flywheel combinations require offset locating dowels.The offset dowels replace the straight existing dowels,in the engine block.

If the components mentioned are not centered,the transmission input shaft is out of alignment and probably the starter is also.

After the bell housing is dialed in,the bell housing stater bore location should be verified.

When everything is lined up, a pretty rough set of teeth will mesh.

I left out some info. Its a 1996 Bravo 1 setup on a Gen 6 motor.

Thanks everyone. I have some insight on this repair!
Old 08-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should do a visual inspection of your ring gear before starting any of your work. Pull the starter and check the teeth for unusual wear or damage. Use mirrors or whetever you can to put eyes on the gear.

Rene