Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Who is doing 4 - 7 firing order swap. >

Who is doing 4 - 7 firing order swap.

Notices

Who is doing 4 - 7 firing order swap.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who is doing 4 - 7 firing order swap.

I have used a 4/7 swap cam since about 1990 when I ran ProStock. We it in many offshore N/A combination and Drag Race engines daily. I have seen an honest 10-15 Horsepower on average.There is alot of camshaft technology that we use in Drag Racing that I am incorporating into our marine engine packages. I have also done a extensive amount of testing with a 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 firing order which we have found very good results with. If you notice 2 & 3 are swapped along with 4 & 7.

Dean Gellner
Old 09-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Re: Who is doing 4 - 7 firing order swap.

Originally Posted by Wobble
Thanks for the reply Bob, I was looking into this for our UMP late model engines as a possible "cheap" upgrade during the next freshen up. I read a reply you made on another forum in 2004 on this subject. I think it looks like a sensible option for the rpm's that we are turning in our 427 smallblocks.

I am also looking to add Pan-E-Vac systems as I think that is also an inexpensive "incremental" upgrade that will possibly also help with the alcohol contamination.
Who is the engine bulider for the UMP motor. And where do you run at? I tried to vent the crankcase with one of those systems a long time ago on a motor and made no diff. with the contamination. We just changes oil every three nights and put a heater on the drysump tank to heat the oil. That way when you put the "heat up plate" in front of the radiator and the oil is hot it makes the motor heat up faster to help condinsation.

Last edited by Car Biz; 09-29-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:43 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Car Biz
Who is the engine bulider for the UMP motor. And where do you run at? I tried to vent the crankcase with one of those systems a long time ago on a motor and made no diff. with the contamination. We just changes oil every three nights and put a heater on the drysump tank to heat the oil. That way when you put the "heat up plate" in front of the radiator and the oil is hot it makes the motor heat up faster to help condinsation.
Our engine builder is JK Engines in the Bellaire section of Houston. We run Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma.

Not allowed to run drysump around here except in the SUPR Late Models. This means that we have to run the motors in the pits and on the hot grid to get temp. Oil is changed every two race meets.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our engine builder is JK Engines in the Bellaire section of Houston. We run Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma.

Not allowed to run drysump around here except in the SUPR Late Models. This means that we have to run the motors in the pits and on the hot grid to get temp. Oil is changed every two race meets.
Gottcha! that sucksabout wet sump. Never heard of JK. We ran a HIXSON with chevys and CORNETT and MALICUIT for our fords. Good luck to ya. I'd love to talk to ya about racing sumtime.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

We ran baker engineering pro-cam wet sump pans on our circle track cars with great results. They claim its the closest thing to a drysump when you have to run a wetsump pan,they have a very nicely blueprinted oil pump with the oil pickup plugged and relocated,Smitty