quick winterizing question >

quick winterizing question

Notices

quick winterizing question

Old 10-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: quick winterizing question

I pull all the plugs and drain the water out. Once drained re-install the plugs and hook up the 5 gallon bottle with muffs to the drive. It takes a minute or so to go thru the engine and then it will start blowing pink iut the exhaust. I used to fill thru the tstat but it took much longer. Anyone else ever tried doing it this way?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by splashandburn
I pull all the plugs and drain the water out. Once drained re-install the plugs and hook up the 5 gallon bottle with muffs to the drive. It takes a minute or so to go thru the engine and then it will start blowing pink iut the exhaust. I used to fill thru the tstat but it took much longer. Anyone else ever tried doing it this way?
If you are only running your engine for a "minute or so" there is no way that the thermostat is opening, so you are just putting antifreeze in your exhaust manifolds and lines. not in the block.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you drain the block you don't have to worry about the thermostat opening. It will go into the block. Use the pink stuff that is for engines, -50 or - 100. It has corrosion inhibitors. If you do it this way without running the antifreeze thru the entire system, take the water intake hose off at the transom and pour antifreeze in it while cranking the engine. It will come out the lower hose going into the therm. housing. This way you get the coolers and raw water pump. The plastic housing pump will crack otherwise.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the duke
If you are only running your engine for a "minute or so" there is no way that the thermostat is opening, so you are just putting antifreeze in your exhaust manifolds and lines. not in the block.

I think that by draining the block it has to first fill the block before it will go into the exhaust, etc. or am I wrong? I do it this ay and it will take in 4 gallons or so of antifrezze before it will start to come out the exhaust.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bowtie
If you drain the block you don't have to worry about the thermostat opening. It will go into the block. Use the pink stuff that is for engines, -50 or - 100. It has corrosion inhibitors. If you do it this way without running the antifreeze thru the entire system, take the water intake hose off at the transom and pour antifreeze in it while cranking the engine. It will come out the lower hose going into the therm. housing. This way you get the coolers and raw water pump. The plastic housing pump will crack otherwise.

That's what I thought - once you've drained the block the antifreeze has to go into the block first even if the motor is not hot. As for the raw water pump and coolers - isn't the raw water pump the first place it has to go if you are putting the antifreeze into the drive using muffs?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It goes to the oil coolers and raw water pump only if you run it on antifreeze, not if you drain the block and pour the antifreeze in the thermostat housing.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:50 AM

If you drain the block you don't have to worry about the thermostat opening. It will go into the block.
How is it gonna get in the block with the thermostat closed? drained or not drained
Old 10-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the manual for the 525 efi, it says to take off the upper intake hose on the sea water pump. That appears to let water stay in the pump and lower hose.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

"How is it gonna get in the block with the thermostat closed? drained or not drained"

First off we are talking about doing this without the engine running and the thermostat housing or cover removed. Pour antifreeze into the intake. Or just pull the large hose off of the circ pump and pour the antifreeze into the hose. You really don't have to remove therm hsg at all. When pouring antifreeze in the thermostat doesn't come into play. I still would rather run the engine on garden hose first bring to temp, than run on an antifreeze tank until antifreeze coming out the exhaust is protected to the desired temp after themostat is open of course, then fog.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:15 AM

"
First off we are talking about doing this without the engine running and the thermostat housing or cover removed. Pour antifreeze into the intake. Or just pull the large hose off of the circ pump and pour the antifreeze into the hose. You really don't have to remove therm hsg at all. When pouring antifreeze in the thermostat doesn't come into play. I still would rather run the engine on garden hose first bring to temp, than run on an antifreeze tank until antifreeze coming out the exhaust is protected to the desired temp after themostat is open of course, then fog.
I think that you misread one of my posts. This is what I said to do in Post # 2. Then I answered splash and burn who said he drainned the block and then said he "hooked up the 5 gallon bottle with muffs to the drive. It takes a minute or so to go thru the engine and then it will start blowing pink iut the exhaust."

That won't put antifreeze in the block (throught the drive no stat opened).

Quick Reply: quick winterizing question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.