quick winterizing question

Notices

quick winterizing question

Old 10-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: quick winterizing question

Originally Posted by the duke
I think that you misread one of my posts. This is what I said to do in Post # 2. Then I answered splash and burn who said he drainned the block and then said he "hooked up the 5 gallon bottle with muffs to the drive. It takes a minute or so to go thru the engine and then it will start blowing pink iut the exhaust."

That won't put antifreeze in the block (throught the drive no stat opened).
It does put antifreeze into the block though - after I did it I opened up the lower two plugs on the block and all I got was pink antifreeze. Even the exhaust drains were filled with pink.

If I let the motor run for a minute or so and antifreeze is being pulled in through the drive and it takes that long for it to start coming out the exhaust then where else could it be going?? There has to be some kind of bypass or something that allows it to go into the block otherwise within the first gallon or so of antifreeze being sucked in it woulod have to start coming out the exhaust wouldn't it? The fact that I have antifreeze coming out the block drain plugs means it has to be getting there.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a bypass, otherwise when the thermostat is closed the engine would not get any water at all. That wouldn't make sense would it? If you look at the thermostat housing you can see where it bypasses the thermostat when it is closed. Believe me marinas have been winterizing big boats this way for years when they come out of the water in a travel lift and the antifreeze goes into the block.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie
There is a bypass, otherwise when the thermostat is closed the engine would not get any water at all. That wouldn't make sense would it? If you look at the thermostat housing you can see where it bypasses the thermostat when it is closed. Believe me marinas have been winterizing big boats this way for years when they come out of the water in a travel lift and the antifreeze goes into the block.
I know that there is a bypass. I was trying to keep winterizing simple, and not get into the total makeup of the cooling system on a Merc motor
Old 10-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only drawback relying on the bypass route with the stat in the closed position to allow antifreeze to get into the block, is that it will take more antifreeze as a majority of it will take the path of least resistance.........straight out the exhaust.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
The only drawback relying on the bypass route with the stat in the closed position to allow antifreeze to get into the block, is that it will take more antifreeze as a majority of it will take the path of least resistance.........straight out the exhaust.
CORRECT

If I was rssteiny who started this thread, I'd shoot myself now, and take it to the dealer
Old 10-29-2006, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by the duke
CORRECT

If I was rssteiny who started this thread, I'd shoot myself now, and take it to the dealer
Sorry to have taken this thread in another direction - hope I didn't confuse the issue or make any of this sound to difficult because it really isn't that hard.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by splashandburn
... confuse the issue or make any of this sound to difficult because it really isn't that hard.

OSO technical forum is the Rube Godberg advise line.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/honda-ad.html
Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Registered

I know this is an old thread - but I found it when I was doing my search.

This is my first winter with my boat. So I had my dad help me winterize it. Crownline boat 350mag with BravoOne drive and capt call.

I started boat with muffs and water hose. Let it reach about 160 on the dash gauge. I stopped because my dad said the water coming out was warm and I had a turkey in the smoker.. So we quickly hooked up the funnel and added one gallon of automotive pink and then two bottles of the $$$ boat store pink antifreeze. I stayed in the boat but my dad said that he did see some pink coming out of the bottom of the front part of the Bravo1 drive.

Is that enough or should I want pink coming out of the exhaust as well?

I only used about two gallons total. Is that enough? I live in south GA so we don't get that cold but I can't afford to repair a boat on a police salary.

I later pulled off the large hose on the tstat housing and didn't find any water or antifreeze in the hose or top of the housing.