Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Any One Know Who Does Media Blasting In Sarasota-tampa? >

Any One Know Who Does Media Blasting In Sarasota-tampa?

Notices

Any One Know Who Does Media Blasting In Sarasota-tampa?

Old 11-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any One Know Who Does Media Blasting In Sarasota-tampa?

I Need To Get The Body Of My Corvette Media Blasted---im In Sarasota But Will Travel A Reasonable Distance To Get To Someone Good -- As You Know Someone Who Doesnt Know What They Are Doing Can Destroy Fiberglass Quickly. Thanks For Your Responses.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Re: Any One Know Who Does Media Blasting In Sarasota-tampa?

Lots of factors go into blast cleaning a fiberglass body - older bodies are as a rule rougher than newer, the type of paint on the body is a factor, thickness etc... type of media used, urea, arcylic, walnut etc... make a difference and at the end of the day your expectations - New bodies with vacuum pulled resin and smc are as rule easy and simple -

Have the blast shop do a sample - look at media type/ media size air pressure ( at the nozzle) stand off distance, nozzle type - if the shop is experiences and the body is "rough" then so be it - this is as a result of the underlying polyester resin "rotting" or failing in time often from UV exposure, solvent exposure etc... the body acts much like a piece of oak, while hard and strong it will still have soft spots. In the case of fiberglass you would want to remove the soft sport and then fill with new strong materials. If you were to sand this body and bridge the soft spots, the surface tension of the new paint "can" cause cracking in the new paint - Bottom line is that in the long run you may be better off with a sound substraight and pay the big $$$ in fillers to make the car straight again.....ANY fiberglass body even from the best shop will require a little to alot of additiona work - hey you asked the question so there is my .02 cents
Old 11-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the blastmaster in orlando he did my wifes 63 vette
Old 11-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ready STrip in Deerfield does my cars and when they come back the sheetmetal looks like a new car they use almond shell
Old 12-01-2006, 06:46 AM
Registered

There is a company here in St Pete that does blasting with plastic media. Most of what they blast are auto restoration projects. If interested you can contact Mike Anderson, you may know him. He throttled for Todd in the Pro Marine supercat boat for a few races. He can be reached at 727 581 3911.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Registered

thanks everyone for your help--- it was harder to find than i thought!

billy
Old 12-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that once a car is "blasted", regardless of the media used, you are going to be dealing with buckets of the stuff falling out of every crack and crevice for months. Tell your painter that the car was blasted and watch him roll his eyes. When the painter passes the spray gun over any opening the media will blow up into the paint. I assembled a Jag that had been blasted with sand. Every time I rolled it over in the rotary stand about 2 lbs of sand fell out of the body. I rolled and blasted the body with air about fifty times, and the sand is still falling out of the car. Unless you have some serious adhesion problems with a layer of paint, I'd suggest you just sand the car with sand paper and prime it well.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an older post, but we provide dustless blasting services in the Sarasota, FL area.