Arneson Rocker Plates??? >

Arneson Rocker Plates???

Notices

Arneson Rocker Plates???

Old 12-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arneson Rocker Plates???

Anyone know how they work? Their web site says they work differently than conventional trim tabs, but they look to me to be the same as any other tab. Anyone know if they're doing something different?

Not looking to put them on my boat or anything, just looking to learn.

thanks
Old 12-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Arneson Rocker Plates???

You mount the Arneson plates even with the bottom of the boat. You can then add more control (less bow lift) by flexing the plate down (works like a tab) or to loosen the boat up by flexing the plate up...adds rocker. In concept, this allows you to change the attitude of the boat - go both ways - and leave your hull flat without any built in hook or rocker.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Registered

So all they are is flush trim tabs. I'll have to pull out my old fluids books and figure out how much difference this makes, since most tabs are only a quarter in up. I guess the tabs that are mounted parallel to the water are distictly different.

I would assume you'd get more drag? Probably no reason to use them other than a v bottom with a non trimable drive (arneson)?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You are smarter than was...on my blueprinted v-hull they scrubbed top speed and the rocker settings added 0...not even .1 MPH on the GPS in test conditions. The benefit, if one exist, may be on cats. I know as much about cats as I do about women...
Ben
Old 12-18-2006, 08:19 PM
MOP
Registered

On some boat they make a tremendous difference, if you go to the Arneson site and check Cool Boats look at Geo's 18 Donzi. The plates made a world of difference in speed.

Phil
Old 12-19-2006, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The biggest advantage to me is the availability of curing roll axis problems (leaning) by lifting the opposite tab "up", instead of putting the low side tab down.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOP
On some boat they make a tremendous difference, if you go to the Arneson site and check Cool Boats look at Geo's 18 Donzi. The plates made a world of difference in speed.

Phil
Do you know what they did that allowed the speed increase?

From what I can comprehend, the only area where they could increase speed would be if the bow needed lifting and you couldn't accomplish it with drive trim. Or am I missing something.

COuldn't you mount any trim tab flush to get the same effect? I notice many past threads talking about the advatages of running the tabs parralel to the water, which obviously you can't do if they are flush with the bottom.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

I believe they help if you have trouble porposing at higher trim angles, then you have to drop the tabs to stop the porposing, scubbing off speed.
The rocker plates let you to trim higher, the remove the porposing without scubbing speed.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Registered

And dropping the Rocker plates doesn´t scrub of speed?
What Am I missing here also?Dropping them makes a hook Which is in my eyes the same as having trim tabs?
All is see from a construciton standpoin is the mounting is under the boat..this way the end of the tab is shorter in distance from the transom..reducing drag and the installment design of the pump makes it stronger.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 06-09-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran with Crazy George (Geo) a few times and spoke to him on the subject.
As I understand the rocker plates, they bend not hinge.
As mentioned before, they can add the effect of a hook or rocker to the back/bottom of your boat.
The way you gain speed from them is from stability.

Quick Reply: Arneson Rocker Plates???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.