Fuel Pump Advice Needed: >

Fuel Pump Advice Needed:

Notices

Fuel Pump Advice Needed:

Old 01-04-2007, 04:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fuel Pump Advice Needed:

I need help finding a durable/long-lasting electric fuel pump. I have had several electric fuel pump failures in the past on my 850HP N/A single 1050 dominator carbureted motor and now I having built a 1000+ HP blower motor with 2-1050 dominators. There are no tight bends or kinks in the fuel line, everything is pretty straightforward. I use a high flow capacity fuel filter (that filters 60-100 microns) between the tank and pump. I am rewiring the fuel pump to a heavier 8-gauge wire and a shorter distance. My pump is located as low as I possibly can get it in the hull (below fuel line of tank) and with in 2’ of fuel cell (close as I could get it to tank). I am very worried about fuel pump failures. The past pumps I have used are: Holley Marine Black & a few different Mallory Marine pumps. What is the best marine grade electric fuel pump for a gasoline 1000+ HP carbureted blower motor with 2-1050 dominators, that uses -10 inlet/outlet fittings with no return line? I prefer no by-pass/return line, unless this is the reason for my pump failures, if so, is there a way around it? I was told that SX Performance electric fuel pump were the simplest and about the best pump?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

Default Re: Fuel Pump Advice Needed:

www.sx-performance.com absolutly the best period
Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I went with aeromotive pump and have a regulator/bypass thats dumps back into the fuel tank via a "T" fitting I put in at the filler hose for the tank. I run my pump at 35psi on my whipple 509mpi motor. Has been working flawless for me.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:47 PM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Weldon

MAKE SURE it is well filtered. If you are having failures look to see how it is plumbed. Electric pumps are pushers not pullers, haveing to pull up hill kills them, haveing restriction kills them, hell even elbows kill them.
Big pickups, no anti-sypon valves, and oversize lines help a lot. Check out www.xrp.com for high flow fittings and hose...... this stuff makes Russel and Aeroquip look like crap....... and make sure your pump is at tank level.

RT
Old 01-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I Sell S-x Pumps And You Did Not Say What Size Your Fuel Pick Up Is. If This Is To Small You Will Cavatate The Pump , This Will Kill Any Pump. The Fuel Water Seperator Should Be In Front Of The Pump And A Filter After The Pump. You Should Also Return Fuel To The Tank To Keep The Fuel Cooler. We Have A Lot Of These In The Marine Market With Out Any Problems.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Registered

I always run the filter before the pump via the instruction, every pump I bought said to do so, so the fuel is filtered before entering the pump. As far as regulator, I always bought the new ones that were recommended for the pump. I am sure if I run a return line it should resolve this issue and the bigger power 8-gauge wires should help too. Thanks for your help. I will buy a SX Performance pump.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are multiple things that can cause fuel pump failures.
- Feed line too small
- Vent line too small (pump will try to suck the tank inside out)
- Filter too restrictive (You should filter before, and after the pump)
- Bad plumbing etc.

If at all possible find a way to run a return style system this way the pump will not have to work nearly as hard!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

scrap the electric pump. keep it as a back up and go to a mechanical that actual was designed for the conditions we high per formance boaters put these engines thru.
and with out a doubt use a return style regulator.
install the reg. after the fuel log, this way if it faila you end up with too much fuel instead of a mess.
the pump is a vailbale from cv products. (it was designed and is used in nascar.)
the regulator is weldon's.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Pump Advice Needed:-e1.jpg   Fuel Pump Advice Needed:-e2.jpg   Fuel Pump Advice Needed:-e7.jpg  

Old 01-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you look close in the second picture you can see the cv pump. it works absolutely incredible without failure, and its design will support 1300 hp gas or alchohol.

also i would install a fuel cooler as to help moderate the temps of the warm fuel that is stored in your boat. helps to make more consitent h.p and helps to prevent detonation.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dead heads kill pumps.
I went with aeromotive set up.Weldon just to expensive.
Talked with aeromotive and they said water seperator after pump. Because the smallest filter to use is a 100 micron before the pump.I put in one of theres(100 micron) before the pump.
My permacool i think was 10 microns.
Mounted my pump up higher then the tank which they said is fine as long as you put in a check valve after the pump.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Advice Needed:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.