Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
With All These Exhaust Questions, Help Me With Mine... >

With All These Exhaust Questions, Help Me With Mine...

Notices

With All These Exhaust Questions, Help Me With Mine...

Old 01-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With All These Exhaust Questions, Help Me With Mine...

I have been over this time and time again, but it seems alot has changed in the exhaust and header world since last season.

I have a Larry Peto 3.3 Whippled 496mag HO that makes 830 horsepower with the stock Merc exhaust. The engine has all new internals ported & polished heads, blah blah blah....

I had asked Larry in the past what exhaust we could put on it, but he said he wouldn't waste the money and the improvement wouldn't be worth the money spent.

I value his opinion, and after all he did build the motor and knows what he is talking about, but I want some bling.

I talked to Fred (Trick) last season and he said the CMI 496 kit wouldn't be the route to go for me, but to go with CMI e-tops. With all of the horror stories about the CMI's and now noticing Fred has Stellings, makes me wonder.

With reading all of these threads and reports, I just can't help but wonder what exhaust would work on my boat. At this point I am not looking for a 60hp gain or anything like that, I have enough HP, but want new exhaust for the bling factor.

I guess I will be doing alot of research at the boat show next week...
Old 01-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Registered

Default Re: With All These Exhaust Questions, Help Me With Mine...

Im waiting on a set of 496 flow tourqe dmp exhaust. On a stock 496 its producing 40hp check out there website its http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Gr...TOKEN=93756365
Im getting mine through lakeside performance for around $2500
Old 01-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by betitbig
I have been over this time and time again, but it seems alot has changed in the exhaust and header world since last season.

I have a Larry Peto 3.3 Whippled 496mag HO that makes 830 horsepower with the stock Merc exhaust. The engine has all new internals ported & polished heads, blah blah blah....

I had asked Larry in the past what exhaust we could put on it, but he said he wouldn't waste the money and the improvement wouldn't be worth the money spent.

I value his opinion, and after all he did build the motor and knows what he is talking about, but I want some bling.

I talked to Fred (Trick) last season and he said the CMI 496 kit wouldn't be the route to go for me, but to go with CMI e-tops. With all of the horror stories about the CMI's and now noticing Fred has Stellings, makes me wonder.

With reading all of these threads and reports, I just can't help but wonder what exhaust would work on my boat. At this point I am not looking for a 60hp gain or anything like that, I have enough HP, but want new exhaust for the bling factor.

I guess I will be doing alot of research at the boat show next week...
You may want to look at the Bassett Tri Y header also.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: With All These Exhaust Questions, Help Me With Mine...

Betitbig:

When it comes to building supercharged 496 engines, Larry Peto is one of the best and his results speak for themselves! so his opinion is highly regarded by me, although it was Larry himself who told me that big power supercharged motors need to get the exhaust out and the stock Merc 496 manifolds due a fairly good job on N/A motors I think on supercharged 496's a better flowing exhaust will still make more power! Its my belief that the Stainless Marine High Torque lll and the CMI big tube E-tops will help a supercharged 496 like yours the most. Big Short runners into big risers and the exhaust has somewhere to go. Just my two cents. Is it worth the buck, heck if you have to ask that question, why did you get into performance boating in the first place?! Go for IT!!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Registered

Thanks Ray...

Are you going to be at the show on the 3rd? I need to talk to you about you doing some work on my motor.

Valve covers, wire hide kit, ecm re-mounting, etc... and blinging up the motor some.

The motor is out of the boat and I can drop it off at your shop.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 01-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Registered

Not to go against the grain of your builder, he is very respected. From my expirience, you would benefit to the tune of roughly 60-80 HP from a good exhaust system. The stock Merc manifolds are restrictive. From our recent dyno work, I've found that the merc manifolds don't offer much benefit above 400 HP.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dana marine products
Not to go against the grain of your builder, he is very respected. From my expirience, you would benefit to the tune of roughly 60-80 HP from a good exhaust system. The stock Merc manifolds are restrictive. From our recent dyno work, I've found that the merc manifolds don't offer much benefit above 400 HP.
Ditto, If I had a choice, CMI, Eikert and what I run Stainless....l