Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Puke tank or Raised breathers? >

Puke tank or Raised breathers?

Notices

Puke tank or Raised breathers?

Old 03-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We ran a Bobs nose cone and you will pick up speed nothing dramatic but it seemed to take prop slip away. The best we ran with the 25 eagle was 108 with 900 hp. Two guys in the boat actually makes it faster. Around 95mph that boat is out of hull and needs a ton of power while getting real loose, droping off the pad alot. Im sure you know Greg! You can drive past it but its scary. We were talking about that boat with Bob Leach cant believe we did that with out hydraulic sterring.
With the new motor We are looking around an honest 130mph. Dont need a legs on this boat just want to get there quick. The motor Dynoed @ 6900 1020 . We probably will only turn it 6400 because of the drive issue. Just to put it out there Paul Pfaff has a new drive comming out. No tranny,dry sump, Bravo style. Been running on a 1500hp motor no major problems. We are on the list to try one hopefully in the next month or so.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, sometimes a pc valve type system works quite well. But what ever you do, you need to use a breather that's raised up on a tube, and usually those tubes have steps welded in them to stop the oil from blowing straight up them. If you install them into your vc's, make sure you weld them into the top front and not the back since there's more oil return in the back. The best thing you could do would be to route the breather hoses directly into your flame arrestors. That way anything that gets past the breathers goes directly into the engine and out the exhaust. That's the way I did mine, and there's never and oil film on the engines anywhere.

But, if your blowing out a significant amout of oil past the breathers, I think you have way too much blow by. Try doing a leak down test, and that'll tell tell you if that's the problem. After 4 hours of running my fresh engines, I did a leak down test and found that I had about 2% leakage in the worst cylinders. If you've got more than 10% leakage, you've got a serious problem internally.

Good luck, Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 03-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Registered

Again I cant run the hoses to a breather because Im running a endreli fi bird catcher (no Filter) Its like a an top alcohol bird catcher. The motor is also brand new from Pfaff racing Never been ran other than the dyno time. Every motor that we have ran seems to push oil up which is ok. Steam would be bad its not that. I was just curious if anyone ran puke tanks and if they liked them or if I was better off with a stepped raised breather.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to use the puke tanks myself. I've done a few blower motors that the owners didnt like the tall tube looks and filters so the tanks were the best resort. I mounted them on the back top of the blowers just under the carbs so some oil could run back in the valve covers and what ever was caught I or they just drain out at every service.

John S.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Registered

cloudmaster did you buy that boat from Dave 1972 on here? If so Ive seen it. nice boat
Old 03-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I had blowwby problems when running a blower on my 502,made a puke tank that was vented to the blower,did very little to help. When I built my 540 I went with zero gap top rings and added homeade tubes that raised breathers about 8-9",I also put scotch brite in them to help stop mist from blowing directly out,zero oil comes out with this set up but its the rings that really helped,Smitty
you can really see how high the tubes are in the second pic,they have tape on them because I had the breathers off while pulling the motor but it gives you the idea of what I did
Attached Thumbnails Puke tank or Raised breathers?-boyne-020.jpg   Puke tank or Raised breathers?-boyne-032.jpg  
Old 03-30-2007, 05:39 AM
Registered

Hows it going Ryan?
Old 03-30-2007, 05:56 AM
Registered

my last blower eng.had a puke tank never had a drop of oil on eng. just finished two more blower eng I put puke tanks on both the just work perfect
Old 03-30-2007, 06:33 AM
Registered

108 with 900HP, huh? we'll see what the dyno makes on the 4th. maybe youll gey there!!
Dropping off the pad sounds exactly what yours was doing.

see ya,
kevin