Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
WTF...water in the cylinders >

WTF...water in the cylinders

Notices

WTF...water in the cylinders

Old 04-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dump all the old oil, and then run half oil, half diesel in the crankcase for a few minutes, then drain it and replace with new oil. The diesel cuts the emulsified oil out of the engine, and has good lubricating qualities. I only run it at idle when doing this. One time through has always worked for me. I have done this more time than I care to remember.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Registered

Update on water in the oil problem.I think I've read darn near every thread on this subject that others have had the same problem but very few people finish the thread as to what actually happened and how to fix the problem.Hopefully this will help others.

My mechanic found both exhaust riser gaskets and starboard head gasket failed...why this happened...I dont know.Any way I was lucky in that I had no broken or bent parts.Decided to go with the IMCO Powerflow exhaust.$5100.00 dollars later and almost 3 weeks I should be boating this weekend.The guy doing the repairs on the boat is one of the best in town and people from other nearby states come to him for repairs and performance upgrades.He's even been writing up in Hotboat magazine a time or two.Well anyway I'm going to have fun with the boat as is this summer and in the off season will take it back to him for some real sick horsepower mods.

Oh,btw would love to kill the little basterd who sold me this boat!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Keep us updated, Good luck..........
Jr.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Prostreeter
Update on water in the oil problem.I think I've read darn near every thread on this subject that others have had the same problem but very few people finish the thread as to what actually happened and how to fix the problem.Hopefully this will help others.

My mechanic found both exhaust riser gaskets and starboard head gasket failed...why this happened...I dont know.Any way I was lucky in that I had no broken or bent parts.Decided to go with the IMCO Powerflow exhaust.$5100.00 dollars later and almost 3 weeks I should be boating this weekend.The guy doing the repairs on the boat is one of the best in town and people from other nearby states come to him for repairs and performance upgrades.He's even been writing up in Hotboat magazine a time or two.Well anyway I'm going to have fun with the boat as is this summer and in the off season will take it back to him for some real sick horsepower mods.

Oh,btw would love to kill the little basterd who sold me this boat!
I bet your wife really loves you now($5100 on imco!)!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Registered

The cost of 5100.00 is to tear the entire top end of motor down,replace head gaskets,4 oil changes,inspect heads,exhaust system,replace impeller,fix tach and replace trim guage.

Not 5100.00 for the exhaust!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same thing happen to me. 502MPI hyerolock solid. Engine file up with water. It was almost new at the time. Flapper in the exhaust broke water was getting in evertime you back off the throtlle. Had to change oil a few times to make sure all the water got out. Ran fine for years after that with no problems. So you might be ok.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

ProStreeter,

Make sure you get the exhaust flappers reinstalled or better yet install something like Stainless Marine's internal flapper to help keep the water where it belongs..

Good luck with the new boat!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Registered

I replaced my manifolds a few months ago and freshend up the heads while I was at it. Signs of blow out and my boat has 200hrs . Glad I did. Internal flappers were shot. I went to external flappers .. Not as sexy but they always do the job. You will notice on our boat that the exhaust is real short and almost level at half way point. Dont let the water get up to the mid point of the pipe where the internal flap is and you are safer in my book..