Need Timing Cover Install Help >

Need Timing Cover Install Help

Notices

Need Timing Cover Install Help

Old 04-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Timing Cover Install Help

I retimed one the cam in the sb engine over the winter. As usual I went out and tested it only to find a healthy oil leak. I haven't taken it apart yet but I assume it is from the rubber gasket that goes between the oil pan and timing cover. This is always a problem for me, removing the cover and getting it back on with no oil leak. Anyone have a trick to do this easily? I'm thinking silicon instead of the rubber gasket? Cut the dowel pins off that locate the cover? They seem to cause a lot of trouble getting the cover drawn down. This is a mark IV engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BT
Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Get rid of the rubber gasket and just use some RTV Black. Loosen the the front 3 oil pan bolts on both sides. maybe grind off a 1/4 inch of the inside lips on the timing cover.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Registered

Have you used just silicone bead here before Griff? What do you mean grind 1/4 inch off the inside lip of the TC?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Registered

I would guess the reason you're getting the leak is you are trying to install the cover without removing the pan? If so, about the only thing you can do is what Griff said. There is a "U" shaped lip that fits down over the oil pan. With the oil pan in place, you won't be able to get the "U" properly seated over the pan and you wind up with a leak. If you grind down the inside portion of the "U", you can put it in place more easily. Unfortunately, this will make for a worse seal. The only way to make up for that is to use more silicone. It may take a couple of times to get it right, but you should be able to get it to seal.

The correct way would be to lower the pan, install the cover, and then put the pan back in place. It would be difficult to do in the boat for sure!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Registered

I think a nice bead of silicone may work. I'm not sure my covers have the u shaped lip. Memory says not and I only installed this a month or so ago. But hey, I ain't gettin any younger. I'll have to get her tore back down and see what the problem is. Thanks for the input fellas. Any more ideas I am all ears.

BT
Old 04-24-2007, 07:01 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I wonder what a big blob of silicone would look like in an oil pan

If you buy the cover gasket set, it will come with two corner seals for the pan, and the rubber seal. Push it down hard from the top until it goes over the dowel pins.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Have you used just silicone bead here before Griff? What do you mean grind 1/4 inch off the inside lip of the TC?
Yes, I've used the RTV before.

Like was said, the thick rubber gasket fits into a U shaped channel. Grind a little off on the upper corners on the inside part of the channel. That way, you do not need to force the cover down so far to get the lip to hook on the back side.