Wiring Help!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wally, thanks for your help, I will do more troubleshooting tonight
Old 05-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Registered

ok, just got in from the shop, switching to the purple wire as 12v source at distributor took care of the key shutting engine off. Just like wally said, it did not take care of the accessory panel problem. I ran a ground jumper wire straight from the battery to the ground block behind the helm, after I did that my blower switch worked, horn worked, lights worked, but still getting nothing from the hatch switch or the bilge pump. I took the front of the dash off and checked all connections and any fuses I could find, everything looked ok. then I stood on my head and tried to trace wires all the way back and still came up with nothing. When I had the engine out I scrubbed the bilge, mounted and wired new fuel pump and there were no wires anywhere to be seen and when I dropped the new engine in I simply hooked the master plug up and bolted battery gounds to the flywheel housing. So where does this thing ground? Where do I go from here?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Registered

And I don't know if it matters but all of this stuff worked perfect when I put the boat away for the winter and pulled the engine out, so it has to be related some how.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

check your grounds and make sure you have good connections.....even though it looks good and the bolt is tight, you may have paint acting as an insulator and not contacting 100%.....do you also have a good ground going straight form the battery to the engine block?? try useing a jumper cable from the battery to a known good ground on the block...like a bare bracket or to a mounting bolt on the intake manifold etc...and see what happens...you may even have a bad ground cable from the battery!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Registered

I just wanted to thank you guys for helping me! I fixed it last night and it turned out to be a bunch of different small things that had sent me on a wild goose chase. It turned out part of the problem was a bad ground that must have corroded just from sitting over the winter (as I did not mess with this at all during engine install). What really had me confused was why I still had two switches not working after I had run the ground jumper wire. It turned out that the plugs had pulled apart on the hatch actuator down inside the plastic sheathing when I swung it to the side getting the engine out. The next thing I found was that the bilge pump had quit over the winter. I tapped it with something and it cut right on. So everything is fixed now. I wished I had known the bilge pump was bad while the engine was out!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

glad it all worked out for ya.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!