Boat starting problem...help please >

Boat starting problem...help please

Notices

Boat starting problem...help please

Old 05-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkspoilerzx
Sounds to me like you have the two small wires on the starter solenoid switched around...the yellow with red goes to the inside and the purlple one goes on the outside...or just the yellow red on the inside if there is only one.....that would make the main solenoid not work.
Ya know, I thought this too. My colors arent the same, I have a yellow with red, and two reds only going to the starter. But on the starter I removed, only two terminals were being used, on large and one small. The starter solenoid had two large and two small terminals on it. Just like the one I removed one the old starter. But only one of each size post was utilized. Might be time for a digital camera and some hanging upside down in the bilge............
Old 05-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Registered

Boy, I hope you don't have the same "starter" problem I have right now, my motor or drive is stuck
Old 05-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Registered

I feel for ya bro, I laughed my ass off when you said you were thinking Match and Gas! Good sense of humor - don't lose it. I'm no mechanic - it sure sounded like the starter?
Oh well, best of luck!
Old 05-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Registered

if you have a multimeter this will be your best friend right now. take the ground on the meter and connect to a clean ground like the carb stud then take the other end and go to the slave soleniod and check for 12 volts at the big lugs without cranking the engine. you should have one with 12 volts. after that test check the other one that did not have 12 volts when you crank it you should see 12 volts if not then check the smaller wires on the soleniod for 12 volts when cranking. one wire terminal is ground and the other is 12 volts from the ignition switch crank position. if you have 12 volts there when you crank the soleniod is bad. if all three terminals seem to have 12 volt when you crank it you can move on to the starter. now place the meter positive wire on the yellow and red wire and crank it over you should see 12volts. if all is good to that point i would guess you either have a bad ground cable or positive wire to the starter motor. has the starter or boat ever had alot of water in it. alot of times if this happens the wire terminals do what we call wick with corrosion and reduce the amperage flow to the starter. i have seen batteries have good voltage but no amperage and also bad battery selector switches go bad.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Registered

Lowfunds, I will print this out and try them all out tomorrow. Thank you very much for the input!

And yes, the blige did get alot of water at one point last season when I didnt notice the waves lapping into the vents when people were on the sundeck. Pumped it out right away, but I see your point.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Registered

Alright, once again I am at a standoff with this POS. I have now tested as mentioned above. I have also replaced the Pos+ and Neg- wires with brand new ones. I even went so far as to get a second new solenoid to test with, just to verify. And I have tested both of these that they do in fact transfer power as intended with the key. Here are photos of the wiring on the solenoid switch and the back of the starter just for fun. If you see something that is wrong let me know, but as far as I can tell it is right, and this isnt my first go round with working on motors. I am seriously pissed off at this thing right now....it has gotta be something stupid.

Ideas again people?

Old 05-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Registered

couple more

Old 05-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Registered

Remember too this boat ran fine when winterized. And its not locked up, just no power is getting to the starter to even TRY to turn the motor over.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Registered

your problem is you have the yellow and red wire on the wrong terminal on the starter. it needs to be on the one closest's to the engine block. the terminal it's on now is a 12 volt supply of a electric fuel pump on other model boats. swap it over and see what happens. if you say you have another starter look at the solenoid on that one it have a letter s on the inner terminal. this is deffinetly your problem i can guarrantee it.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Registered

Good god do I feel like a complete idiot right now. Thank you everyone, and remember, even the experianced can make stupid mistakes