Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Just installed roller rockers- confused on adjustment- loose rockers after rotating. >

Just installed roller rockers- confused on adjustment- loose rockers after rotating.

Notices

Just installed roller rockers- confused on adjustment- loose rockers after rotating.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed roller rockers- confused on adjustment- loose rockers after rotating.

Just installed my shiny new gold crane roller rockers on my 1996 GEN VI roller 454 mag.

I did just as the directions said to do- rotate engine so each lifter was on the back of the cam lobe, zero lash finger tight, then 3/4 of turn on the wrench, then tighten the lock screw. I went though all of them, then rotated the engine over to TDC #1 to install the dist- I checked the rockers and few are a little loose- I can wiggle them up and down a little bit. Did I screw up the adjustment, or are the lifters bleeding down on me? do I run it as is, or start cranking down on the rockers more?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.) Adjust intake valve when the exhaust just begins to open.

2.) Adjust exhaust valve when intake is almost closed.

If your running a hyd. type camshaft you will want to preload the lifter about1/2 to 3/4max of a turn. After preloading, take all of the play out of the inner set screw and lock by tightening set screw and outer hex head of poly-lock at the same time. You cannot tighten just the set screw-rockers will have chance of backing out of adjustment. Until lifters are pumped up with oil they may have play in them.

Last edited by mrhorsepower1; 05-25-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
1.) Adjust intake valve when the exhaust just begins to open.

2.) Adjust exhaust valve when intake is almost closed.

If your running a hyd. type camshaft you will want to preload the lifter about 3/4 of a turn. After preloading, take all of the play out of the inner set screw and lock by tightening set screw and outer hex head of poly-lock at the same time. You cannot tighten just the set screw-rockers will have chance of backing out of adjustment. Until lifters are pumped up with oil they may have play in them.
Agreed except that I pre load mine 1/4 turn and no more than 1/2 turn....
Old 05-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, 1/4 - 1/2 turn will allow more oil into lifter. I have run .002 lash on certain class racing hyd. cams to get more rpm.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

zimm,

I dont think anyone really answered your question. The lifters are probably bleeding down as you suspect.

How did you determine zero lash point ? I do not like telling people to "spin" the pushrod as they tighten the rocker adjustment. Most people end up getting the adjustment too tight when they do it that way. I tell my customers to "jiggle" the pushrod up and down and slowly tighten the adjustment until you just barely get all of the slop out of the pushrod. Then the additional 1/4 turn. 1/2 turn or whatever they prefer. I generally go 1/2 turn unless I know the engine is giong to be turning very high rpms.

I also recommend the "exhaust opening, intake closing" methid but if you have the intake off its pretty easy to see when you are on the bottom of the lobe.

Hope this helps,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive machine
Waldorf md
Old 05-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Registered

Thanks BillK. I just did what you describe and all looks good. I redid them all, and I could feel the lifters spring up and down by pushing on the pushrods. Maybe they had to bleed down first.