water in bilge? >

water in bilge?

Notices

water in bilge?

Old 05-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in bilge?

Well i just purchased a new boat (to me) a couple of weeks ago. I got a 2000, 32 fountain fever with 502's runs great and the boat is in better than mint condition and it has only 200 hrs. I asked the prev owner if he had changed any of the drive bellows and he said no, that he didn't ever have any water in the bilge (b.s.). well after using the boat over the weekend i have been getting about 4-10 cups of water when i pull the plug? i went through all the the bellows, and I could not find a crack or tear any wear, and all the clamps were tight! so i checked the exhaust risers and through hulls for a leak and still see no water leaking out! I asked some fellow fountain owners about the position of the blowers holes on the swim deck venting right at almost water level and i guess on occasion if backing into a big wave you can get water in that way, but i have yet to do that. I would love to hear some other ideas if any one has any. I also checked drain plug and seal. I just hate to pull the drives right now and check to see if water is sitting in the bellows!
Old 05-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try checking the blue wing nuts on the engines where you drain the water out of the blocks. There should be 4 on each engine and 1 on each cool fuel. Also chk. all coolant/water hoses,and the hose that goes to the back of the transom assy. that sucks in lake water that goes to the impler.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try checking the speedo tube/connection also. Any chance of your boat having a water holding tank where the connections and or tank leaks into the bilge? Good luck and enjoy your new toy.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 32' was the same way when I bought it. My previous 27 also the same problem. I removed the rear rubrail sections and squeezed 5200 in the deck to hull joint. Fill it full. Also squeeze in sealer in the screw holes when reinstalling. The sealer from Fountain was very scarce and not sealing fully, allowing water to leak past and into the bilge. Obviously my 32 was worst do to the fact the rub rail is at water level. I now don't even get so much as a drop of water in the bilge now. 100% dry, every day, all the time.
That joint along the swim platform can't be FG'd from the inside as the rest of the boat is do to no access from inside, so it is selaed with sealer on the outside.
I never had issues with water going up the vent tubes to where the bilge would get wet. It looks more likely than it actually is.

Congrates on the new ride.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-29-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm having a similar issue on my 33 Outlaw. My speedo tube did pop off one of my drives, so perhaps that is part of the issue.

-mike
'14 VW Touareg TDI
'17 Holden Commodore 6MT
'13 Subaru BRZ Spec 86 Cup Race Car
Old 05-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

If you get in and out of your boat in water off your clothes will put that much in your bilge. Especially if you have rugrats.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Registered

I know this is an old post, but I bought a 32' Fountain a few months ago and am experiencing the same problem. Is it easy to remove the rear portion of the rub rail and apply the sealant? When I leave my boat in the water a couple days, it seems like I get a lot of water out when I pull the plug. I haven't checked any other areas yet (bellows, water hoses etc.), but if pulling the rub rail and sealing it is a piece of cake I may as well do that. The back of these boats do sit really low and I thought maybe when I slowed down with several people sitting in the rear I may be getting water up over the back of the rear hatch and getting in that way also.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

try drying it, then run the boat around the lake if its hot its coming from motor,cold then from back of boat somewhere
Old 08-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuke32fever
I know this is an old post, but I bought a 32' Fountain a few months ago and am experiencing the same problem. Is it easy to remove the rear portion of the rub rail and apply the sealant? ....The back of these boats do sit really low and I thought maybe when I slowed down with several people sitting in the rear I may be getting water up over the back of the rear hatch and getting in that way also.
The insert pulls out fairly easy, then just have to remove the rear section of the rub rail that runs along the back and up a couple feet on each side. Seal the joint like no tommorrow all along the back and up the side. When reinstalling the insert, you'll need a heat gun or a hair dryer to soften it up to a soft rubber consistancy. Then use a dull wide blade putty knife to work it back in a little at a time. I have the wife in front with the heat gun and I'll follow pushing the insert in before it hardens back up. Don't pull it while it's soft, you'll stretch it.

I've slowed down enough to take a wave over the swim platform and splash the sun pad and never get any water in the bildge. Seal the joint.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Registered

Thanks a bunch US1. I'm going to do that this weekend. I'll also take a good look at any other possibilities. I'm pretty sure it isn't a bellow problem as they look brand new. I'm almost positive it's not coming from a cooling line from the engine because it was the worst when I stayed at my Mom's last weekend on the main channel of LOTO. The boat wasn't driven much but sat in the dock and rocked up and down quite a bit for over a day. Then I got in it the next morning, loaded 8 people aboard and idled out and right before I was getting ready to take off, did my usual look around and saw the auto bilge had kicked on. Like you said, the 32' rear rub rail sits right on the water. Seems to be a likely source.