Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Flush mount through hull water pickup- do they work? >

Flush mount through hull water pickup- do they work?

Notices

Flush mount through hull water pickup- do they work?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush mount through hull water pickup- do they work?

I'm looking to feed water to my whipple's intercooler. I've read bad things about tee-ing into my existing lower water pickup (imco lower) because it drops overall water pressure.

I am running closed loop cooling, so the raw water sees the heat exchanger, p/s cooler, oil cooler, and out the exhaust.

I was going to run a dana marine flush type 3/4" through hull water pickup. The kind you mount from inside and trim flush with the bottom. Will that pick up enough water for the intercooler?

I had the stainless marine water pickup sent to me, but it was way too big for my little Donzi's transom. I sent it back.

Looking for advice on if the through hull flush mount works, or if I need a transom mount pickup, or just T- into the raw water line. Whipple instructions say not to use the raw water pump because it flows water at idle, which is not ideal for an intercooler.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thru hull pick-ups absolutely work. The Stainless Marine thru hulls are my only water pick-ups. This project is fairly involved and generally will be best accomplished with the engine(s) out. You may want a water cut off valve, etc. This is a good winter project. You will need to drill the hull, mark and cut the pick-up to length and then fill in around the tube maybe with epoxy (can't remember).
At first we ground out a 4-6" channel in front of the pick-up. We ended up filling this in back to flush as it created to much water pressure!
A side benefit of this style pick-up is you may pick up 1-2 MPH if you remove any other pick-up system that protrudes below the running surface. Some step bottoms will also get less air in the water system with this style pick-up.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have say 20 to 25 p.s.i of water, then you could plumb it off your raw water supply by y ing the inlet hose before in gets to the crossover.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Registered

I'm closed loop cooling- no crossover- raw water doesn't even see the engine, just the heat exchangers and p/s and oil coolers. I'll try the T-fitting first before the through hull.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Monstaa. If your boat is like most, you should have picked up a significant amount of (like around 10PSI) water pressure with the IMCO lower. I did.
That allowed me plenty of extra water pressure and volume to run my whipple intercooler off the raw water pump. To prevent the intercooler from flowing at idle, I got an adjustable water pressure relief valve from Hardin Marine. It is normally used to prevent excess water pressure in sea strainers. Sorry I don't have the part # handy. I'm sure if you call them, they will find it for you.
Here are some pics. It's the bronze fitting/valve installed right behind the water pump.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Flush mount through hull water pickup- do they work?-boat-pics-035.jpg   Flush mount through hull water pickup- do they work?-boat-pics-037.jpg   Flush mount through hull water pickup- do they work?-boat-pics-040.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 05-30-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:51 AM
Registered

I just put a Whipple on my hp500efi, and Whipple is suggesting going with a transom mounted water pickup to supply the engine, and let the drive supply the intercooler. I added a sea strainer and have lots of water flow. And pressure seems fine too.