Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cutting Dash - What to use? >

Cutting Dash - What to use?

Notices

Cutting Dash - What to use?

Old 06-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

coiling will not be a problem. just make sure you tie wrap the coils , and also the cables them selves. dont let them flop around anywhere as this will throw off their accuracy.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys! After thinking about it, I doubt if I have the room for the jig saw where I need to cut. I think I'm going to go with the air reciprocating saw. Those are small and pretty much vertical. That should give all the room I need. Well, off to buy new tools soon!

Thanks again!!
Old 06-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
Thanks for all the help guys! After thinking about it, I doubt if I have the room for the jig saw where I need to cut. I think I'm going to go with the air reciprocating saw. Those are small and pretty much vertical. That should give all the room I need. Well, off to buy new tools soon!

Thanks again!!

Suit yourself. But, I'm telling you, the Dremel cuts through 3/4" gel and plywood pretty easy with a tile cutting bit. Plus, it's simple to make fine adjustments. Last winter I installed a DMP billet glove box. Because it was larger than stock, I had to cut the entire opening through about an inch total of plywood, fiberglass, and gelcoat. I used the same tool for the cup holder, too.
Attached Thumbnails Cutting Dash - What to use?-newdash2.jpg  
Old 06-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Registered

Get the RotoZip tool. Its way more powerful than a Dremel. Lowes carries them.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rotozip is the way to go!! Works awesome but becareful or you will lose a finger quick.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Registered

Tabs indicators are installed. I picked up the Chicago Pneumatic air reciprocating saw. It cut through the dash like butter! Nice nad clean as well!

Bad news, I put the tabs all the way down to get the plugs out of the brackets where the cables come through. I get the starboard cable through the hole and start getting it prepped for adjustment. Starborad tab no go up! I got real frustrated, threw some things and then completely finished the port side. Came inside and did a search on my problem. Posts sounded like a solenoid. I went back out and hooked up my remote starter switch to the up solenoid and up it went! At least I was able to finish the install and get the cable waterproofed. I can now put it on the water at least. I'll have to get the solenoid changed out pretty quick though so I can actually use my indicators! I'll try to post some pics.

Thanks for all the help everybody!!
Old 06-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Registered

Pics
Attached Thumbnails Cutting Dash - What to use?-misc-pics-011.jpg   Cutting Dash - What to use?-misc-pics-012.jpg